Ulster to America [electronic resource] : the Scots-Irish migration experience, 1680-1830 / edited by Warren R. Hofstra.
- 1st ed.
- Knoxville : University of Tennessee Press, 2012.
1 online resource (297 p.)
- Scots-Irish -- United States -- History -- 18th century.
Scots -- Ulster (Northern Ireland and Ireland) -- History -- 18th century.
Scots-Irish -- United States -- History.
Scots -- Ulster (Northern Ireland and Ireland) -- History.
United States -- Emigration and immigration -- History -- 18th century.
Ulster (Northern Ireland and Ireland) -- Emigration and immigration -- History -- 18th century.
United States -- Emigration and immigration -- History.
Ulster (Northern Ireland and Ireland) -- Emigration and immigration -- History.
- Electronic books.
- In Ulster to America: The Scots-Irish Migration Experience, 1680-1830, editor Warren R. Hofstra has gathered contributions from pioneering scholars who are rewriting the history of the Scots-Irish. In addition to presenting fresh information based on thorough and detailed research, they offer cutting-edge interpretations that help explain the Scots-Irish experience in the United States. In place of implacable Scots-Irish individualism, the writers stress the urge to build communities among Ulster immigrants. In place of rootlessness and isolation, the authors point to the tran
- Introduction: From the north of Ireland to North America: the Scots-Irish and the migration experience / Warren R. Hofstra
Searching for a new world: the background and baggage of Scots-Irish immigrants / David W. Miller
Searching for land: the role of New Castle, Delaware, 1720s-1770s / Marianne S. Wokeck
Searching for order: Donegal Springs, Pennsylvania, 1720s-1730s
Richard K. MacMaster
Searching for community: Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1750s-1780s / Richard K. MacMaster
Searching for peace and prosperity: Opequon settlement, Virginia, 1730s-1760s / Warren R. Hofstra
Searching for status: Virginia's Irish tract, 1770s-1790s / Katharine L. Brown and Kenneth W. Keller
Searching for security: backcountry Carolina, 1760s-1780s / Michael Montgomery
Searching for "Irish" freedom-settling for "Scotch-Irish" respectability: southwestern Pennsylvania, 1780-1810 / Peter Gilmore and Kerby A. Miller
Searching for independence: revolutionary Kentucky, Irish American experience, and Scotch-Irish myth, 1770s-1790s / Patrick Griffin
Afterword: historic political moderation in the Ulster-to-America diaspora / Robert M. Calhoon.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Hofstra, Warren R., 1947-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|