Fundamentals of sustainable dwellings [electronic resource] / Avi Friedman.
- 1st ed. 2012.
- Washington, D.C. : Island Press, c2012.
1 online resource (271 p.)
- Ecological houses -- Design and construction.
- Electronic books.
- Despite a prolonged slump in the housing market, the demand for residential green building remains strong. More than ever, professionals need reliable information about how to construct or retrofit livable, sustainable, and economical homes. With Fundamentals of Sustainable Dwellings, Avi Friedman provides that resource. While other books on residential green building are often either superficial or overly technical, Friedman gets it just right, delivering an illustrated, accessible guide for architects, developers, home builders, codes officials, and students of architecture and green design. Friedman charts a new course for residential building—one in which social, cultural, economic, and environmental values are part of every design decision. The book begins with a concise overview of green building principles, covering topics such as sustainable resources and common certification methods. Each following chapter examines a critical aspect of green home construction, from siting to waste management options. Friedman provides basics about energy-efficient windows and heating and cooling systems. And he offers innovative solutions like edible landscaping and green roofs. Friedman knows that in green building, ideas are only as good as their execution. So in each chapter valuable data is assembled and a contemporary project in which designers strove to achieve sustainability while adhering to real-world constraints is featured. The result is a practical guide for every professional in the burgeoning field of residential green building.
Chapter 1. Principles of Sustainable Dwellings
Chapter 2. Siting a Home
Chapter 3. Sustainable Residential Design Concepts
Chapter 4. Unit-Planning Principles
Chapter 5. Constructing a Home
Chapter 6. Building Materials
Chapter 7. Energy-Efficient Windows
Chapter 8. Heating and Cooling Systems
Chapter 9. Healthy Indoor Environments
Chapter 10. Water Efficiency
Chapter 11. Green Roofs
Chapter 12. Edible Landscaping and Xeriscaping
Chapter 13. Waste Management and Disposal
Case Study Projects Team
Case Study Projects Photographers
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.5822/978-1-61091-211-2 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|