Life and Labor in the New New South [electronic resource] / edited by Robert H. Zieger ; foreword by Richard Greenwald and Timothy J. Minchin.
- Gainesville : University Press of Florida, c2012.
- Working in the Americas.
Working in the Americas
1 online resource (377 p.)
- Labor movement -- Southern States -- History.
Labor -- Southern States -- History.
Southern States -- Economic conditions.
Southern States -- Social conditions.
- Electronic books.
- This collection of essays explores the dynamic new face of Southern labor since 1950. Life and Labor in the New New South weaves together the best work of established scholars with emerging cutting-edge research on ethnicity, gender, prison labor, de-industrialization, rapidly changing demographic and employment patterns, and popular response to globalization.
- Cover; Contents; List of Illustrations; Foreword; Acknowledgments; Introduction: Southern Workers in a Changing Economy; 1. "How Can Greenville Get New Industry to Come Here If We Get the Label of a C.I.O. Town?": Capital Migration and the Limits of Unionism in the Postwar South; 2. John McClellan, the Teamsters, and Biracial Labor Politics in Arkansas, 1947-1959; 3. "A Lot Closer to What It Ought to Be": Black Women and Public-Sector Employment in Baltimore, 1950-1975; 4. Worker-Citizens at the Community Bargaining Table: The St. Louis Teamsters' Community Stewards Program in the 1950's
5. Chicano Labor and Multiracial Politics in Post-World War II Texas: Two Case Studies 6. "Slaves of the State" Revolt: Southern Prison Labor and a Prison-Made Civil Rights Movement, 1945-1980; 7. Obreros in the Peach State: The Growth of Georgia's Working-Class Mexican Immigrant Communities from a Transnational Perspective; 8. Race and Labor in Memphis since the King Assassination; 9. Shutdowns in the Sun Belt: The Decline of the Textile and Apparel Industry and Deindustrialization in the South; 10. A Different Kind of Union: SEIU Healthcare Florida from the Mid-1990s through 2009
11. The Movement for Economic Democracy in the South: The Virginia Organizing Project, 1995-2004 List of Contributors; Index;
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Zieger, Robert H.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|