Global care work [electronic resource] : gender and migration in Nordic societies / Lise Widding Isaksen (ed.).
- Lund : Nordic Academic Press, c2010.
1 online resource (241 p.)
- Women foreign workers -- Scandinavia.
Women immigrants -- Scandinavia -- Social conditions.
- Electronic books.
- Presenting empirical research on the lives of care workers, sex workers, au pairs, and their families, this anthology is a unique study of gender and migration. Written by researchers from Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden, the account brings the Nordic example to the international debate on how globalization affects and commercializes women's traditional work and analyzes the social and legal migration regulations. Uncovering some uncomfortable facts about new ethnic hierarchies, social class, and gender discrimination in these countries, this book is an es
- Cover; Copyright; Contents; Foreword; 1. Introduction: global care work in Nordic societies - Lise Widding Isaksen; I Domestic Work and Images of Equality; 2. Au-pair migration and new inequalities: The transnational production of corruption - Helle Stenum; 3. The snake in the grass of gender equality: Au-pairing in women-friendly Norway - Mariya Bikova; 4. Cultural exchange or cheap domestic labour?: Constructions of 'au pair' in four Nordic countries - Catharina Calleman; 5. Doing gender equality: Cleaners employed in Norwegian middle-class homes - Tove Ingebjørg Fjell
II Transnational Experience and the Labour Market6. Sex workers' transnational and local motherhood: presence and/or absence? - Hanne Marlene Dahl & Marlene Spanger; 7. Transnational care: The social dimensions of international nurse recruitment - Lise Widding Isaksen; 8. Care work and migration politics in Sweden - Ellinor Platzer; III The Nation, Citizenship and Democracy; 9. Global care and Finnish social policy - Minna Zechner; 10. Public care work in private contexts: A historical perspective on the Swedish welfare state - Karin Carlsson
11. Global domestic workers in Denmark: Labour market regulation, union representation, and solidarity strategies - Lise Lotte HansenAbout the authors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Widding Isaksen, Lise.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|