Zionism and Free Enterprise : The Story of Private Entrepreneurs in Citrus Plantations in Palestine in the 1920's and 1930's / Irit Amit-Cohen.
- Standardized Title:
- Ḥidah me-aḥore ha-beroshim. English
- Berlin ; Boston : De Gruyter, 
- Israel Studies in Historical Geography
Israel Studies in Historical Geography
1 online resource (212 p.)
- Citrus -- Palestine -- History -- 20th century.
Agricultural innovations -- Palestine -- History -- 20th century.
Agriculture -- Palestine -- History -- 20th century.
Entrepreneurship -- Palestine -- History -- 20th century.
Mediterranean Coast (Israel) -- Economic conditions -- 20th century.
- Electronic books.
- Irit Amit-Cohen explores the riddle behind disappearing citrus orchards and plantations from Israel's coastal scenery. The book reveals the biographies of entrepreneurs who came to Palestine in the 1920's and 1930's. Exposing the uniqueness of the plantation companies, describing the figures involved in them and analyzing their contribution to forming Palestine's settlement landscape in the British Mandate period, this book relates the intimate narrative of settlements which were built as temporary structures, but still leave lasting imprints on the landscape.
- Front matter
List of Illustrations. List of Maps. List of Photographs
Introduction. Reconstructing the Past to Shape the Present
Chapter 1. Time and Space - Spatial and Periodical Delimitations
Chapter 2. The Private Entrepreneur and Economic Development of Palestine in the British Mandate Period
Chapter 3. Citrus Plantation Farms on the Central Coastal Plain
Chapter 4. Plantation Companies in the Southern Coastal Plain - Private Initiatives for Cooperative Settlement
Chapter 5. From Alexandria to Palestine - Baron de Menasche and the Bnei Binyamin Association
Chapter 6. Tycoons in Palestine
Chapter 7. Conclusion: Space, Time and Human Being
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -196) and indexes.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|