Oxford [electronic resource].
- 3rd ed.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, UK, 1987.
1 online resource (305 p.)
- Local subjects:
- Oxford (England) -- Description and travel. (search)
Oxford (England). (search)
- Electronic books.
- King James I once said that if he were not a king he would like to be an Oxford man. `I was a modest, good-humoured boy,' wrote Max Beerbohm, `it is Oxford that has made me insufferable.'An entertaining blend of fact and anecdote, this is a classic account of the character, history, mores, buildings, climate, and people of a unique city, which has given its name to a marmalade, bags, a grey, shoes, a Group, a Movement, a dictionary, and an accent. Written in elegant, witty prose, this is a delightful portrait of the home of the MG and the university which educated twenty-three British prime mi
- Cover; Contents; ONE; 1. Piebald; TWO; 2. Rich Mixture; 3. Town and Country; 4. Universitas Oxoniensis; 5. Ornery; 6. College Spirit; 7. No Good Aire; 8. Fauna and Flora; 9. Sorts and Conditions; 10. Pleasures; THREE; 11. The Look of It; FOUR; 12. Learning; 13. Vineyard of the Lord; 14. Compact of Ancient Tales; 15. The Ark; 16. The Argosy; 17. In Art; 18. Right of Way; 19. Distant Trumpets; 20. The Heart of Things; FIVE; 21. Gone Away!; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; Q; R; S; T; U; V; W; Z
- Description based upon print version of record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|