Segregation Hurts : a Voices of Youth with Disabilities and Their Families in India / Pavan John Antony.
- Other Title:
- Voices of Youth with Disabilities and Their Families in India
- Leiden; Boston : Brill | Sense, 2013.
- Studies in Inclusive Education ; 19.
Studies in Inclusive Education ; 19
1 online resource (114 p.)
- Children with disabilities -- Education.
- Electronic books.
- Segregation Hurts is a book that explores the stories of six families who have children with disabilities. The families who reside in the south west of India shared their daily experiences living with a child with a disability. Irrespective of the diverse socio-economic statuses and religious beliefs, families shared common challenges raising a child with a disability in the Indian society. These children faced exclusion and denial of admission to local public schools due to their disability and they were forced to seek admission to a special school in their neighbouring community. Public schools in India continue to deny admission to millions of children due to their disabilities and are an invisible minority in the society. This book provides a novel and unique perspective about the nuances and daily struggles of families who are silenced and shut out due to the shortcomings and oppressive nature of the education system. Further an indepth analysis and critique is made of the treatment and education of children with disabilities in India. Dr. Antony is a strong advocate of inclusive schooling and this book will share his expertise within international contexts.
- Preliminary Material
Education for All and its Importance Around the Globe
Thomas and Nancy
Usman and Khadeeja
Krishna and Neha
Amar and Amina
Joseph and Jane
Javed and Jasmine
A Self Reflection
Research Study Consent Form
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on print version record.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-94-6209-179-5 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|