Swaledale [electronic resource] : valley of the wild river / Andrew Fleming.
- New ed.
- Oxford ; Oakville, Conn. : Windgather Press, c2010.
1 online resource (193 p.)
- Swaledale (England) -- Antiquities.
Swaledale (England) -- History.
- Electronic books.
- This is a reprint of the first edition, published in 1998 by Edinburgh University Press. Now with an updated preface and colour illustrations throughout, this beautiful book tells the story of Swaledale, a well-loved part of the North Yorkshire Pennines. It shows how the perspectives of archaeology, history and ecology can be linked to transform our understanding of the landscape. Starting from the contemporary framework of the landscape with its stone walls, field barns and hay meadows - characteristic features which seem to reflect a way of life which has been here since time immemorial - th
- Cover; Preface the the first edition (1998); Preface to the 2010 edition; List of Illustrations; 1 All Features Great and Small: Landscape Archaeology in Herriot Country; 2 In the Kingdom of the Swale; 3 Decoding the Pattern of Townships; 4 Conflict and Common Sense; 5 Reconstructing Community Landscapes; 6 In Search of Old Wood Pastures; 7 People, Places and Pathways; 8 From Microliths to Maiden Castle; 9 Romans and Countrymen; 10 History and the Swaledale Landscape; Bibliography; Index
- Previous ed.: Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1998.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|