August 1914 : England in peace and war / by Mark Rowe.
- Gosport, [England] : Chaplin Books, 2013. , ©2013
1 online resource (256 p.)
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 20th century.
Great Britain -- History -- George V, 1910-1936.
- Electronic books.
- August 1914 is the story of England in that watershed month when the country went from peace to war. It tells of what life was like in a country that looked, and smelt, very different to today. Work could be long, hard and deadly; pleasures were rough and simple; religion was a comfort for many. Some of the people whose stories you will encounter are well-known, such as Winston Churchill, the rising First Lord of the Admiralty. Others were not famous figures - Winston's sister-in-law, the ...
- Cover; Contents; Front Matter; Title Page; Publisher Information; Dedication; August 1914; Part One; Chapter 1; Chapter 2; Chapter 3; Chapter 4; Chapter 5; Chapter 6; Chapter 7; Part Two; Chapter 8; Chapter 9; Chapter 10; Chapter 11; Chapter 12; Chapter 13; Chapter 14; Chapter 15; Chapter 16; Chapter 17; Chapter 18; Part Three; Chapter 19; Chapter 20; Chapter 21; Chapter 22; Chapter 23; Photographs; Back Matter; Some of the Characters After 1914; Background Reading; Sources by Chapter; Some Military Terms and Totals; Also Available
- Description based upon print version of record.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|