Functional Approaches to Language / Carmen Jany, Shannon Bischoff.
- Berlin ; Boston : De Gruyter Mouton, 
- Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs [TiLSM]
Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs [TiLSM] ; 248
1 online resource (260 p.)
- Functional discourse grammar -- Congresses.
Functionalism (Linguistics) -- Congresses.
Structural linguistics -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- Functionalism, as characterized by Allen, (2007:254) "holds that linguistic structures can only be understood and explained with reference to the semantic and communicative functions of language, whose primary function is to be a vehicle for social interaction among human beings." Since the 1970's, inspired by the work of Jespersen, Bolinger, Dik, Halliday, and Chafe, functionalism has been attached to a variety of movements and models making major contributions to linguistic theory and to various subfields within linguistics, such as syntax, discourse, language acquisition, cognitive linguistics, typology, and documentary linguistics. Further, functional approaches have had a major impact outside linguistics in fields such as psychology and education, both in terms of theory and application. The main goal of functionalist approaches is to clarify the dynamic relationship between form and function (Thompson 2003:53). Functionalist perspectives have gained more ground over the past decades with more linguists resorting to functional explanations to account for linguistic structure. The authors in this volume present the current state of functional approaches to linguistic inquiry expanding our knowledge of language and linguistics.
- Front matter
Introduction / Bischoff, Shannon T. / Jany, Carmen
On the Intellectual Roots of Functionalism in Linguistics / Givón, T.
Functional Explanation and its Uses / Itkonen, Esa
Structure and Function: A Niche-Constructional Approach / Harder, Peter
Toward a Thought-Based Linguistics / Chafe, Wallace
Changing Language / Kaschak, Michael P. / Ann Gernsbacher, Morton
An Outline of Discourse Grammar / Heine, Bernd / Kaltenböck, Gunther / Kuteva, Tania / Long, Haiping
Towards an Experimental Functional Linguistics: Production / Menn, Lise / Duffield, Cecily Jill / Narasimhan, Bhuvana
- International conference proceedings.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Bischoff, Shannon, editor.
Jany, Carmen, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|