Of Other Thoughts: Non-Traditional Ways to the Doctorate : a A Guidebook for Candidates and Supervisors / Edited by A.-Chr. Engels-Schwarzpaul; Michael A. Peters.
- Leiden; Boston : Brill | Sense, 2013.
1 online resource (338 p.)
Universities and colleges -- Graduate work.
- Electronic books.
- Of Other Thoughts offers a path-breaking critique of the traditions underpinning doctoral research. Working against the grain of traditional research orthodoxies, graduate researchers (almost all from Indigenous, transnational, diasporic, coloured, queer and ethnic minorities) AND their supervisors offer insights into non-traditional and emergent modes of research—transcultural, post-colonial, transdisciplinary and creative practice-led. Through case studies and contextualizing essays, Of Other Thoughts provides a unique guide to doctoral candidates and supervisors working with different modes of research. More radically, its questioning of traditional assumptions about the nature of the literature review, the genealogy of research practices, and the status and structuring of the thesis creates openings for alternative modes of researching. It gives our emerging researchers the courage to differ and challenges the University to take up its public role as critic and conscience of society. - Barbara Bolt, Associate Professor and Associate Director of Research and Research Training, The Victorian College of the Arts, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Preliminary Material / A.-Chr. Engels-Schwarzpaul and Michael A. Peters
Non-Traditional Ways to the Doctorate / A.-Chr. Engels-Schwarzpaul
Ruku – Dive / Moana Nepia
Western “Sentences that Push” as an Indigenous Method for Thinking / Carl Mika
A “Psychedelic Method” / Albert L. Refiti
Fantasy, Resistance and Passion as Important Aspects of the Doctoral Writing Process / Lynley Tulloch
Unaware that I Was Walking Backwards / Richard Heraud
Contributing to the Field of Design Research / Christian Wölfel
The Trademan’s Door to the Ivory Tower / Katharina Bredies
Sticky Advice for Research Students / Sarah McGann and Barbara Milech
Spaces of Other Thought / Shane Edwards
Culture as a Place of Thought / Catherine Manathunga
Transfer and Translation / King Tong Ho
The Colour of Thought / Roland W. Mitchell and Kirsten T. Edwards
Transforming the Academic Field / Susanne Maria Weber
Queer as a Two-Bob Watch / Welby Ings
Anxieties of Knowing / Michael A. Peters
Emerging Knowledge, Translation of Thought / A.-Chr. Engels-Schwarzpaul
Alternative Design Doctorates as Drivers for New Forms of Research, Or / Wolfgang Jonas , Rosan Chow and Simon Grand
Thought out of Bounds / Ross Jenner
Thinking through Moving Image and Performance / Sarah O’Brien
Thinking through Art, Creating through Text / Barbara Milech and Ann Schilo
Spaces between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Knowledge Systems / Laura Brearley and Treahna Hamm
“Not All Academics Can Do It” / Barbara M. Grant
A Creative Journey: By Māori for Māori / Robert Jahnke and A.-Chr. Engels-Schwarzpaul
Emergent Knowledges and Non-Traditional Candidates / A.-Chr. Engels-Schwarzpaul and Michael A. Peters
Index / A.-Chr. Engels-Schwarzpaul and Michael A. Peters.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Contains bibliographic references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Engels-Schwarzpaul, A.-Chr., editor.
Peters, Michael A., editor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-94-6209-317-1 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|