The handbook of development communication and social change / edited by Karin Gwinn Wilkins, Thomas Tufte, and Rafael Obregon.
- Chichester, England : Wiley Blackwell, 2014.
- Global handbooks in media and communication research.
Global Handbooks in Media and Communication Research
1 online resource (528 p.)
- Mass media -- Social aspects.
Communication -- Social aspects.
Communication in social action.
- Electronic books.
- This valuable resource offers a wealth of practical and conceptual guidance to all those engaged in struggles for social justice around the world. It explains in accessible language and painstaking detail how to deploy and to understand the tools of media and communication in advancing the goals of social, cultural, and political change. A stand-out reference on a vital topic of primary international concern, with a rising profile in communications and media research programsMultinational editorial team and global contributorsCovers the history of the field as w
- The Handbook of Development Communication and Social Change; Copyright; Contents; Notes on Contributors; Series Editor's Preface; Acknowledgments; Introduction; References; Part I Communicating Development and Social Change; 1 Development Communication and Social Change in Historical Context; The Commodifications of Participation; The Cooption and Redemption of Participation in a Digital Era; The Contributions of Communication Rights Movements to CSC Theory: The Right to Information Movement in India and Voice; Public Hearings, Participation, Voice
CSC Theory and the Need to Account for Networks and StructuresReferences; 2 Globalization and Development 1; The Formation of the Paradoxes; Communications; Communications as Development and Globalization; Conclusion; Notes; References; 3 Political Economy of Development; The History of Political Economy; Political Economy and Communication: The Cultural Imperialism Controversy; The Institutional Matrix of the Development Industry; Issues for Political Economic Research; References; 4 Advocacy Communication; Advocacy; Political Foundations of Development; Communication for Social Justice
HegemonicDialogic; Strategic; Communication about Social Justice; Future Research; References; 5 Equality and Human Rights; Human Rights and Equality; Equality in the International Debates on Information and Communication; WSIS and the Global Digital Divide; Social Communication and Equality; Equality in Communication Rights; Human Survival and Social Communication; Conclusion; Notes; References; 6 Public Health; Public Health is Optimistic; Public Health is an Optimistic Call to Action; Public Health as an Optimistic Call for Change (and Violence); Conclusion
Areas for Future Research in Development CommunicationReferences; 7 Indigenous Communication: From Multiculturalism to Interculturality; Dangerous Rights: Communication and Diversity; Media Diversity Matters; Media and Discrimination; International Agreements; From Regulation to Observatories; Community Media: The Voice of Interculturality; Not a Conclusion; Notes; References; 8 Communication, Development, and the Natural Environment; Introduction; Nature and the Environment in a Development Context; Modernization and Transfer of Technology
Sustainable Development and Participatory ApproachesCommunication in Support of Sustainable Management of the Natural Resource Base; Conclusion: Making Communication Count; References; 9 Emerging Issues in Communicating Development and Social Change; Historical and Global Contexts; Political and Economic Structures; Development Discourse; Social Justice; References; Part II Developing Strategic Communication for Social Change; Part III Activist Approaches for Development and Social Change; 10 The Strategic Politics of Participatory Communication
Strategic Communication in the Persuasion Paradigm
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references at the end of each chapters and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Wilkins, Karin Gwinn, 1962- editor.
Tufte, Thomas, editor.
Obregon, Rafael, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|