Swedish and German liberalism [electronic resource] : from factions to parties 1860-1920 / Martin Åberg.
- Lund : Nordic Academic Press, c2011.
1 online resource (247 p.)
- Liberalism -- Germany -- Schleswig-Holstein -- History -- 19th century.
Liberalism -- Germany -- Schleswig-Holstein -- History -- 20th century.
Liberalism -- Sweden -- Värmlands län -- History -- 19th century.
Liberalism -- Sweden -- Värmlands län -- History -- 20th century.
- Electronic books.
- An in-depth analysis of political organization and democratization during the crucial 1860-1920 period in Sweden and Germany, this book centers on the formation of liberalism. It argues that despite ideology's individualistic traits; which made liberals less susceptible to political organization on a mass basis; its followers chose to compromise between individual and collective action. Revealing how Swedish liberalism made way for peaceful democratization and collective modes of societal organization while German liberalism turned conservative an
- Cover; Copyright Page; Contents; Preface ; Introduction ; The problem - an outline; Scope and rationale of the study ; 1. Parties - the roots of suspicion ; The idea of party ; Political association as social cooperation ; The geographical setting - Värmland and Schleswig-Holstein ; 2. Partisanship rising ; Beginnings ; Sweden - liberalism on the verge of mass politics ; Liberalism in Värmland and the rise of popular movements ; Schleswig-Holstein, Prussia, and the new Germany - region and nation ; The dual roots of political individualism; Rural communities in transition
3. Värmland Liberalism one step to the left Citizen and society ; Tariffs and party systems formation ; Mass-mobilization by means of proxy ; The 1911 elections ; The winding road to destruction ; A transitory phenomenon ; 4. Schleswig-Holstein 'Linksliberalismus' one step to the right ; Reich on the rise ; The 1871 elections ; Split, merger, and success ; Momentum lost ; Liberalism rejuvenated? ; Steeped in traditionalism ; 5. Swedish and German political association compared ; The problem revisited ; Making sense of history by means of comparison ; Notes ; Bibliography ; Index of names
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 229-243) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|