Struggling for recognition [electronic resource] : the psychological impetus for democratic change / by Doron Shultziner.
- New York : Continuum, 2010.
1 online resource (229 p.)
- Democracy -- Psychological aspects.
Democratization -- Psychological aspects.
- Electronic books.
- Struggling for Recognition posits that the drive for personal recognition is a prime motivation behind the pursuit of democracy. The book presents an alternative to the theories of social and political changes that fail to test the causal assumption they make about human psychology. The theory presented underscores a fundamental aspect of human nature: the pursuit of recognition, that is, the drive for positive self-esteem and status and the aversion of negative self-esteem and subordination. This pursuit of recognition becomes the impetus for action and is used to overcome fear as well as rat
- Contents; List of Illustrations; Preface and Acknowledgments; INTRODUCTION; CHAPTER 1 THEORIES OF DEMOCRATIC PROGRESS AND CONCEPTIONS OF HUMAN NATURE; CHAPTER 2 HUMAN NATURE AND THE PURSUIT OF RECOGNITION; CHAPTER 3 FROM PREHISTORY TO THE END OF HISTORY: DEMOCRATIC SYSTEMS IN THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE; CHAPTER 4 RECOGNITION AND HUMILIATION: THE ORIGINS OF MASS MOBILIZATION IN THE MONTGOMERY BUS BOYCOTT; CHAPTER 5 KEEPING MOMENTUM: LEADERSHIP, PSYCHOLOGY, AND TACTICS; CHAPTER 6 PREVENTION OF STATUS AND POLICE BRUTALITY: THE ORIGINS OF MASS MOBILIZATION AGAINST APARTHEID
CHAPTER 7 MAINTAINING COMMITMENT: LEADERSHIP, CULTURAL CHANGE, AND MUSICCHAPTER 8 RECOGNITION STRIVING AND DEMOCRATIC PROGRESS: AN INTEGRATIVE APPROACH; CHAPTER 9 THE COMPLEXITY OF DEMOCRATIC PROGRESS AND LEVELS OF ANALYSIS; Appendix A: List of Archives for the Montgomery Bus Boycott; Appendix B: List of Abbreviations, Interviews and Background Information about Former Antiapartheid Activists in the Port Elizabeth Municipal Area, South Africa; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 188-208) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|