A battle for neutral Europe [electronic resource] : British cultural propaganda during the Second World War / Edward Corse.
- London ; New York : Bloomsbury, 2013.
1 online resource (273 p.)
- Neutrality -- Europe -- History -- 20th century.
Propaganda, British -- Europe -- History -- 20th century.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Propaganda.
- Electronic books.
- A Battle for Neutral Europe describes and analyses the forgotten story of the British government's cultural propaganda organization, the British Council, in its campaign to win the hearts and minds of people in neutral Europe during the Second World War. The book draws on a range of previously unused material from archives from across Europe and private memoirs to provide a unique insight into the work of the leading British artists, scientists, musicians and other cultural figures who traveled to Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Turkey at great personal risk to promote British life and thought in
- Title page; copyright page; Contents; List of Figures; List of Tables; List of Abbreviations; Acknowledgements; Chapter 1 Introduction; Chapter 2 Cultural Propaganda Theories and Definitions; The British Council's view; Existing definitions of 'cultural propaganda'; Related theories of propaganda and social transmission; Towards a new definition of cultural propaganda; Chapter 3 Learning from the Past; Roots and antecedents of the British Council in Britain; Developments in other European countries; The early years of the British Council; The British Council and the approach of war
Conclusion Chapter 4 At Home: The British Council's Relationships with Other Organizations; Relations with the British Government; Relations with British non-Government organizations and individuals; Relations with the British Embassies; Conclusion; Chapter 5 On the Front Line: Cultural Propaganda in Action; The 'one size fits all' approach versus the bespoke approach to propaganda; Institutes; Teaching; Reaching out to a wider audience; Exhibitions, visitors and word-of-mouth propaganda; Films; Language issues; Conclusion; Chapter 6 The View from the Other Side
Issues in assessing the view from the other side Official views of the British Council; Non-official views of the British Council; Statistical analysis of newspaper reports about British Council activities; Conclusion; Chapter 7 Lessons for the Future: Towards a Model of Cultural Propaganda; The British Council's vital role; How the British Council operated and how this affected its cultural propaganda work; Factors critical for the success of the British Council; Assessing the success of the British Council; Towards a model of cultural propaganda; Contribution to existing literature; Notes
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|