Jane Hicks Gentry [electronic resource] : A Singer Among Singers / Betty N. Smith, with a foreword by Cecelia Conway.
- Lexington, Kentucky : The University Press of Kentucky, 1998.
1 online resource (249 p.)
- Jack tales -- Appalachian Region, Southern.
Folk songs, English -- Appalachian Region, Southern.
Folk music -- Appalachian Region, Southern.
Folk singers -- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Biography.
Gentry, Jane Hicks, 1863-1925.
- Electronic books.
- ""Winner of the North Carolina Society of Historians Award Jane Hicks Gentry lived her entire life in the remote, mountainous northwest corner of North Carolina and was descended from old Appalachian families in which singing and storytelling were part of everyday life. Gentry took this tradition to heart, and her legacy includes ballads, songs, stories, and riddles. Smith provides a full biography of this vibrant woman and the tradition into which she was born, presenting seventy of Gentry's songs and fifteen of the ""Jack"" tales she learned from her grandfather. When Englishman Cecil Sharp
- Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; Foreword; Preface; Part I: Meet Jane Hicks Gentry; 1. An Introduction; 2. The Hickses and the Harmons; 3. From Watauga to Madison; 4. Plantin' and Hoein' on Meadow Fork; 5. Moving to Town; 6. The Writer Meets the Storyteller; 7. Old Counce, Jane, and the Jack Tales; 8. Balladry; 9. The Songs She Sang; 10. Riddles and Rhymes; 11. Time Passes; 12. Epilogue; Part II: Jane Hicks Gentry's Jack Tales; Photo Section; Part III: Jane Hicks Gentry's Songs; A note on the Song Transcriptions John Forbes; Appendixes
Appendixe A: Song Listings in the Sharp and Bronson CollectionsAppendixe B: Discography of Maud Gentry Long; Notes; Bibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; Q; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y; Z
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 211-213), discography (p. 202), and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|