The Victorian steam locomotive : its design and development 1804-1897 / G. D. Dempsey, C.E., D. Kinnear Clark, C.E. ; foreword by Pete Waterman.
- Barnsley, [England] : Pen & Sword Transport, 2015.
1 online resource (209 p.)
- Locomotives -- United States.
Steam locomotives -- Design and construction -- History -- 19th century.
Steam locomotives -- Design and construction.
- Electronic books.
- This book is a contemporary volume covering the history of the steam locomotive from 1804 1879. The work looks at the development and construction methods during the Victorian period. The volume of also has some good quality drawings and engineering diagrams
- Foreword; Preface; Part I: Historical Sketch and Description of the Locomotive Engine; Part II: The Modern Locomotive; Section I: General Description; Chapter 1 Introduction; Chapter 2 The Frame and the Wheels; Chapter 3 Conditions of Stability; Chapter 4 The Boiler; Chapter 5 Coal-Burning Boilers; Chapter 6 The Engine; Chapter 7 Action of Steam in the Cylinder; Chapter 8 Tractive Force and Adhesion; Section II: English Types of Locomotives; Section III: Special Description of a Modern Locomotive; Chapter 9 General View of the Engine; Chapter 10 Framing; Chapter 11 The Axle-Boxes
Chapter 12 The Axles and WheelsChapter 13 The Boiler; Chapter 14 The Safety-Valves; Chapter 15 Steam-Pipes and Regulator; Chapter 16 The Glass-Gauge and the Whistle; Chapter 17 Boiler Now Constructed; Chapter 18 The Cylinders and Valves; Chapter 19 The Blast-Pipe; Chapter 20 Pistons and Crossheads; Chapter 21 Connecting-Rod; Chapter 22 Valve-Gear; Chapter 23 Feed-Pumps and Injector; Chapter 24 The Tender; Section IV: Resistance of Trains; Chapter 25 Experimental Resistance; Chapter 26 Resistance for Steep Inclines; Index
- Includes index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed July 25, 2015).
- Clark, D. Kinnear, author.
Waterman, Pete, author of introduction, etc.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|