Scottish literature [electronic resource] / Gerard Carruthers.
- Edinburgh : Edinburgh University Press, c2009.
- Edinburgh critical guides to literature.
Edinburgh critical guides
1 online resource (241 p.)
- Scottish literature -- History and criticism.
British literature -- History and criticism.
- Local subjects:
- Nuevas Tendencias en la Literatura en Lengua Inglesa (70482116) -- Bibliografía recomendada
- Electronic books.
- This guide combines detailed literary history with discussion of contemporary debates about Scottishness. The book consdiers the rise of Scottish Studies, the development of a national literature, and issues of cultural nationalism. Beginning in the medieval period during a time of nation building, the book goes on to focus on the 'Scots revival' of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries before moving on to discuss the literary renaissance of the twentieth century. Debates concerning Celticism and Gaelic take place alongside discussion of key Scottish writers such as Robert Burns, Walter Scot
- Cover; Copyright; Contents; Series Preface; Acknowledgements; Chronology; Introduction; Chapter 1 The Rise of Scottish Literature; cChapter 2 Scottish Literature in Scots; Chapter 3 Scottish Writing in English; Chapter 4 Intimate Critical Spaces in Scottish Texts; Chapter 5 Literary Relations: Scotland and Other Places; Conclusion; Student Resources; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|