The human tradition in imperial Russia [electronic resource] / edited by Christine D. Worobec.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, c2009.
- Human tradition around the world.
The human tradition around the world
1 online resource (198 p.)
- Russia -- Social conditions.
Russia -- History -- 1613-1917.
- Electronic books.
- Sweeping across more than two centuries, this compelling book introduces readers to some of the major themes in Imperial Russia. In a set of engaging essays, the contributors present richly human stories of individual and group experiences, as well as of key events in Russian history. We see the effects of reforms; the consequences of an economy and society built on serfdom; as well as the development of a civil society, the ""woman question,"" urbanization, secularization, and modernity. As this book vividly shows, individuals, groups, and events raised out of obscurity remind us of the messi
- Fashion and the rise of consumer capitalism in Russia / Christine Ruane
How one runaway peasant challenged the authority of the Russian state : the case against Mar'ia Semenova / Christine D. Worobec
Life on the river : the education of a merchant youth / David L. Ransel
The good society of Russian enlightenment theater / Elise Kimerling Wirtschafter
The 1827 peasant uprising at Bernovo / Rodney D. Bohac
Reframing public and private space in mid-nineteenth-century Russia : the triumvirate of Anna Filosofova, Nadezhda Stasova, and Mariia Trubnikova / Rochelle G. Ruthchild
Happy birthday, Siberia! : reform and public opinion in Russia's "colony," 1881-1882 / William B. Husband
Life in the big city : migrants cope with "daily events" / Laura L. Phillips
Freedom and its limitations : a peasant wife seeks to escape her abusive husband / Barbara Alpern Engel
"She done him in" : marital breakdown in a Jewish family / ChaeRan Y. Freeze
Serving the household, asserting the self : urban domestic servant activism, 1900-1917 / Rebecca Spagnolo
Plebeian poets in fin de siècle Russia : stories of the self / Mark D. Steinberg.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Worobec, Christine D.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|