Ending "east of Suez" [electronic resource] : the British decision to withdraw from Malaysia and Singapore 1964-1968 / P.L. Pham.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Oxford historical monographs.
Oxford historical monographs
1 online resource (275 p.)
- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- Malaysia.
Malaysia -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Military policy.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1964-1979.
Southeast Asia -- Defenses.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- Singapore.
Singapore -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 1964-1979.
Indonesia -- History -- 1950-1966.
Decolonization -- East Asia.
- Electronic books.
- In 1964 Britain's defence presence in Malaysia and Singapore was the largest and most expensive component of the country's world-wide role. Yet within three and a half years the Wilson Government had announced that Britain would be withdrawing from its major Southeast Asian bases and abandoning any special military role 'East of Suez'. Drawing upon previously classified government records P.L. Pham examines and explains how the Wilson Government came to this conclusion, one of themost significant decisions in the decline of British global power after the Second World War.Substantially revising
- Contents; Acknowledgements; Abbreviations & Conventions; Introduction; PART I. COMPROMISE; Introduction to Part I; 1. Beginning the Defence Review: October 1964-June 1965; 2. The Perils of Alliance: June-September 1965; 3. A Dubious Compromise: October 1965-February 1966; Conclusion to Part I; PART II. CONFLICT; Introduction to Part II; 4. The End of Consensus: March-October 1966; 5. From Dissent to Revolt: October 1966-April 1967; 6. The Battle for Withdrawal: April-July 1967; Conclusion to Part II; PART III. BREAKDOWN; 7. A Symbolic Sacrifice: July 1967-January 1968; Conclusion
Appendix: PersonaeBibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; P; R; S; T; U; V; W
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|