Reading between the lines – Leo Strauss and the history of early modern philosophy / Winfried Schröder.
- Berlin ; Boston : De Gruyter, 
- New studies in the history and historiography of philosophy.
New Studies in the History and Historiography of Philosophy ; 3
1 online resource (232 p.)
- Philosophy, Modern.
- Electronic books.
- Since its publication in 1952, Leo Strauss's Persecution and the Art of Writing has stirred considerable controversy, particularly among historians concerned with early modern philosophy. On the one hand, several scholars share his view that it would be inadequate to generally take at face value the explicit message of texts which were composed in an era in which severe sanctions were imposed on those who entertained deviating views. ‘Reading between the lines’ therefore seems to be the appropriate hermeneutical approach. On the other hand, the risks of such an interpretative maxim are more than obvious, as it might come up to an unlimited license to ascribe heterodox doctrines to early modern philosophers whose manifest teachings were in harmony with the orthodox positions of their time. The conributions to this volume both address these methodological issues and discuss paradigmatic cases of authors who might indeed be candidates for a Straussian ‘reading between the lines’: Hobbes, Spinoza, and Bayle.
Table of Contents
Leo Strauss and the Radical Enlightenment
The Irrelevance of (Straussian) Hermeneutics
The Virtues and Vices of Leo Strauss, Historian
Leo Strauss’s Olympian Interpretation: Right, Self-preservation, and Law in The Political Philosophy of Thomas Hobbes
Art of Writing or Art of Rewriting?
Resurrecting Leo Strauss
Spinoza, Strauss, and the Morality of Lying for Safety and Peace
Pierre Bayle and the Red Herring
Index of Names
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 23. Jun 2020)
- Schröder, Winfried, editor., Editor,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9783110424294 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|