New and enduring themes in development economics [electronic resource] / editors, Bhaskar Dutta, Tridip Ray, E. Somanathan.
- Hackensack, NJ : World Scientific, c2009.
- Statistical science and interdisciplinary research ; v. 5.
Statistical science and interdisciplinary research ; v. 5
1 online resource (497 p.)
- Development economics -- Statistical methods -- Congresses.
Comparative economics -- Congresses.
Developing countries -- Economic conditions -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- This book is a compilation of selected papers presented at the ISI (Indian Statistical Institute) Platinum Jubilee Conference on Comparative Development held at the ISI, Delhi, India. The papers cover new and well-established topics in development economics. Some of these include political economy, role of public outrage in delivering justice and the political economy of general strikes, economics of happiness, economics of labour, agricultural economics, macroeconomics and public finance. These topics are analyzed from the perspective of developing countries. The book will be of interest to
- CONTENTS; Foreword; Preface; Inequality and Wellbeing; International Differences in the Determinants of Life Satisfaction John F. Helliwell, Haifang Huang and Anthony Harris; 1. Introduction; 2. Two-Level Global and Regional Estimates Assuming Similar Preferences; 3. Country-by-Country Modelling of Life Satisfaction; 4. Conclusion; Acknowledgments; References; Unequal Chances: The Intergenerational Transmission of Economic Advantage under Marital Sorting T. Lakshmanasamy; 1. Introduction; 2. Empirics of Intergenerational Mobility; 3. A Model of Intergenerational Transmission
4. Empirical Analysis5. Conclusion; References; Addressing Equity Issues in Watershed Development Projects in Bhil Adivasi Areas of Western Madhya Pradesh Rahul Banerjee; 1. Introduction; 2. Work of SAMPARK; 2.1. District and Tehsil Characteristics; 2.2. Roopapada Watershed; 2.3. Scaling up; 3. Work of SAMAJ PRAGATI SAHAYOG; 3.1. Socio-economic Profile; 3.1.1. Identification; 3.1.2. Accessibility; 3.1.3. Agro-Ecological Zone; 3.1.4. Demography; 3.1.5. Households and Occupation; 3.1.6. Estimate of Surplus Labour in the Watershed (Persondays/year); 3.1.7. Migration
3.1.8. Infrastructure Facilities3.1.9. Local Organisation; 3.1.10. Village Industries; 3.1.11. Market Access; 3.2. Natural Resource Profile; 3.2.1. Land Area, Value and Type; 3.2.2. Landuse Pattern; 3.2.3. Cropping Pattern; 3.2.4. Water Resources; 3.2.5. Livestock; 3.2.6. Energy Sources; 3.3. Pre-Project Inequalities; 3.3.1. Non-adivasi Opposition; 3.3.2. Local Bureaucratic Opposition; 3.4. Resolution of Pre-Project Inequalities; 3.5. Post-Project Inequalities and their Resolution; 3.5.1. Inequality in Water use and its Resolution; 3.5.2. Inequalities in Forest Management and their Resolution
3.6. Implications4. Conclusions; References; Politics, Law and Economics; A Theory of the Corrupt Keynesian Toke Aidt and Jayasri Dutta; 1. Introduction; 2. The Economy; 3. A Representative Democracy; 4. Corruption and the Business Cycle; 4.1. The Corrupt Keynesian; 4.2. Unobserved Shocks and Political Instability; 5. Conclusion; Acknowledgments; Appendix; References; On Effecting Institutional Change Sumon Majumdar and Sharun Mukand; 1. Introduction; 2. Changes Due to External Policy: A Framework; 2.1. Equilibrium effects; 2.2. Modernization by the Elite?; 3. Conclusion; Acknowledgements
ReferencesOn the Political Economy of General Strikes Abhirup Sarkar; 1. Introduction; 2. The Environment; 2.1. The Economic Environment; 2.2. The Political Environment; 2.3. The Sequence of Events; 3. Equilibrium; 3.1. Determination of Equilibrium; 3.2. General Strikes and Equilibrium Selection; 4. Conclusion; References; Public Outrage and Criminal Justice: Lessons from the Jessica Lal Case Brendan O'Flaherty and Rajiv Sethi; 1. Introduction; 2. Other Cases; 2.1. The Priyadarshini Mattoo Case; 2.2. The Nitish Katara Case; 2.3. The BMW Hit-and-Run Case; 2.4. The Best Bakery Case
- "This volume is a selection of papers by participants at the ISI platinum jubilee conference on comparative development held at the ISI, Delhi in December 2007."--P. vii.
"Platinum jubilee series."
Includes bibliographical references.
- Indian Statistical Institute.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|