Growth theories in light of the East Asian experience [electronic resource] / edited by Takatoshi Ito and Anne O. Krueger.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, c1995.
- Conference Name:
- NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics (4th : 1993 : San Francisco, Calif.)
- NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics (Series) ; v. 4.
NBER-East Asia seminar on economics ; v. 4
1 online resource (324 p.)
- Economic development -- Congresses.
East Asia -- Economic conditions -- Congresses.
East Asia -- Economic policy -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- The contributors to this volume analyze the growth experiences of Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan in light of the recently developed endogenous growth theory to provide an understanding of the economic boom in East Asia. The theory explored in this volume attributes the phenomenal economic success of these countries to, among other factors, the role of an outward orientation-a focus on exporting rather than on protecting home markets. In addition, the importance of exchange rate behavior, of the supportive role of government policy, and of the accumulation and promotion of physical and human capital are explored in detail. This collection also examines the extent to which growth in each country became self-sustaining once it began. Demonstrating the relevance of endogenous growth theory for studying this important region, this fourth volume in the NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics series will be of interest to observers of East Asian affairs.
- Front matter
1. East Asian Experience and Endogenous Growth Theory
2. Long-Run Growth Theories and Empirics: Anything New?
3. The Open Door Policy and China's Rapid Growth: Evidence from City-Level Data
4. Old and New Development Models: The Taiwanese Experience
5. Debt Financing, Public Investment, and Economic Growth in Taiwan
6. The Role of Trade and Exchange Rate Policy in Korea's Growth
7. The Role of the Government in Promoting Industrialization and Human Capital Accumulation in Korea
8. Japan's Development Cooperation and Economic Development in East Asia
9. A Time-Series Test of the Endogenous Growth Model with Human Capital
10. Conditional Convergence in East Asian Countries: The Role of Exports in Economic Growth
11. Explaining Miracles: Growth Regressions Meet the Gang of Four
- Edited versions of papers presented and discussed at the NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics fourth annual conference, held June 17-19, 1993 in San Francisco.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Itō, Takatoshi, 1950-
Krueger, Anne O.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7208/9780226386980 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|