Remembering Julius Nyerere in Tanzania History, Memory, Legacy / edited by Marie-Aude Fouere.
- Baltimore, Maryland : Project Muse, 2016
- Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2016
1 online resource (342 p.)
- Africa -- Politics and government -- 1960-
Tanzania -- Politics and government -- 1964-
- Childrens subjects:
- Nyerere, Julius K., 1922-1999.
- Electronic books.
- This edited volume is about the rekindled investment in the figure of the first president Julius K. Nyerere in contemporary Tanzania. It explores how Nyerere is remembered by Tanzanians from different levels of society, in what ways and for what purposes. Looking into what Nyerere means and stands for today, it provides insight into the media, the political arena, poetry, the education sector, or street-corner talks. The main argument of this book is that Nyerere has become a widely shared political metaphor used to debate and contest conceptions of the Tanzanian nation and Tanzanian-ness. The state-citizens relationship, the moral standards for the exercise of power, and the contours of national sentiment are under scrutiny when the figure of Nyerere is mobilized today. The contributions gathered here come from a generation of budding or renowned scholars in varied disciplines - history, anthropology and political science. Drawing upon materials collected through extensive fieldwork and archival research, they all critically engage the existing literature about Tanzania and prevailing political narratives to explore how nationhood is (re)imagined in Tanzania today through assent and contest.
- part 1. 'Capturing' Julius Nyerere
1. "Julius Nyerere" : the man, the word, and the order of discourse / Marie-Aude Fouere
2. Julius Nyerere, Ujamaa and political morality in contemporary Tanzania / Marie-Aude Fouere
part 2. Entering and securing the political space
3. Julius Kambarage Nyerere : his formative years / Thomas Molony
4. Julius Nyerere, the Arusha Declaration, and the deep roots of a contemporary political metaphor / Emma Hunter
part 3. In search of a tutelary figure
5. Nyerere's ghost : political filiation, paternal discipline, and the construction of legitimacy in multiparty Tanzania / Kristin D. Phillips
6. Different 'uses of Nyerere' in the constitutional review debates : a touchstone for legitimacy in Tanzania / Aikande C. Kwayu
part 4. Julius Nyerere & his critics
7. Julius Rex : Nyerere through the eyes of his critics, 1953-2013 / James R. Brennan
8. Julius Nyerere in Zanzibar : the revolution, the union and the enemy of the nation / Marie-Aude Fouere
part 5. Politics & poetry
9. Tanzanian newspaper poetry : political commentary in verse / Kelly Askew
10. The poetry of an orphaned nation : newspaper poetry and the death of Nyerere / Mary Ann Mhina
part 6. Post-Mwalimu education?
11. The University of Dar es Salaam : a post-Nyerere institution of higher education? Legacies, continuities and changes in an institutional space (1961-2012) / Olivier Provini
12. Ward secondary schools, elite narratives and Nyerere's legacy / Sonia Languille.
- Description based upon print version of record.
In association with French Institute for Research in Africa.
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on print version record.
- Institut français de recherche en Afrique, issuing body.
Fouere, Marie-Aude, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|