Edinburgh companion to twentieth-century Scottish literature [electronic resource] / edited by Ian Brown and Alan Riach.
- Edinburgh : Edinburgh University Press, c2009.
- Edinburgh companions to Scottish literature.
Edinburgh companions to Scottish literature
1 online resource (273 p.)
- Scottish literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
Scottish literature -- History and criticism.
- Electronic books.
- This volume considers the major themes, texts and authors of Scottish literature of the twentieth and, so far, twenty-first century. It identifies the contexts and impulses that led Scottish writers to adopt their creative literary strategies. Moving beyond traditional classifications, it draws on the most recent critical approaches to open up new perspectives on Scottish literature since 1900. The volume's innovative thematic structure ensures that the most important texts or authors are seen from different perspectives whether in the context of empire, renaissance, war and post-war, literary
- Cover; Copyright; Contents; Series Editors' Preface; Introduction; CHAPTER ONE Arcades - The Turning of the Nineteenth Century; CHAPTER TWO Scotland, Empire and Apocalypse - From Stevenson to Buchan; CHAPTER THREE Literature and World War One; CHAPTER FOUR Arcades - The 1920's and 1930's; CHAPTER FIVE Twentieth-Century Scottish Drama; CHAPTER SIX The Modern Scottish Literary Renaissance; CHAPTER SEVEN Literature and World War Two; CHAPTER EIGHT Arcades - The 1940's and 1950's; CHAPTER NINE Language, Hugh MacDiarmid and W. S. Graham
CHAPTER TEN Post-War Scottish Fiction - Mac Colla, Linklater, Jenkins, Spark and Kennaway CHAPTER ELEVEN Arcades - The 1960's and 1970's; CHAPTER TWELVE The (B)order in Modern Scottish Literature; CHAPTER THIRTEEN The Seven Poets Generation; CHAPTER FOURTEEN Language and Identity in Modern Gaelic Verse; CHAPTER FIFTEEN Arcades - The 1980's and 1990's; CHAPTER SIXTEEN Scottish Contemporary Popular and Genre Fiction; CHAPTER SEVENTEEN Poetry in the Age of Morgan; CHAPTER EIGHTEEN Entering the Twenty-first Century; Endnotes; Further Reading; Notes on Contributors; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Brown, Ian, 1945 Feb. 28-
Riach, Alan, 1957-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|