Contemporary futures [electronic resource] : perspectives from social anthropology / edited by Sandra Wallman.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 1992.
- A.S.A. monographs ; 30.
A.S.A. monographs ; 30
1 online resource (244 p.)
- Anthropology -- Forecasting.
Industries -- Social aspects -- Forecasting.
- Electronic books.
- Contemporary Futures explores the implications of visualising the future and the consequences this has on the present and on our relationship with other cultures.
- Book Cover; Title; Contents; List of contributors; Acknowledgements; Introduction: Contemporary Futures; The death of the future; Trapped in the present: the past, present and future of a group of old people in East London; Posterity and paradox: some uses of time capsules; On predicting the future: parish rituals and patronage in Malta; Lines, cycles and transformations: temporal perspectives on Inuit action; Going there and getting there: the future as a legitimating charter for life in the present
Time past, time present, time future: contrasting temporal values in two Southeast Asian societiesSaving the rain forest? Contested futures in conservation; Sustainable anthropology: ecology and anthropology in the future; Reproducing anthropology; The Marabar Caves, 1920 2020; A future for social anthropology?; Name index; Subject index
- Simultaneously published in the USA and Canada.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Wallman, Sandra.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|