Male domination, female revolt [electronic resource] : race, class, and gender in Kuwaiti women's fiction / by Ishaq Tijani.
- Leiden ; Boston : Briil, 2009.
- Women and gender, the Middle East and the Islamic world ; v. 8.
Women and gender, the Middle East and the Islamic world, 1570-7628 ; v. 8
1 online resource (179 p.)
- Arabic fiction -- Kuwait -- History and criticism.
Arabic fiction -- Women authors -- History and criticism.
Arabic fiction -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
Women in literature.
Race in literature.
Social classes in literature.
Sex role in literature.
Patriarchy in literature.
- Electronic books.
- This book investigates various forms of women’s resistance to male domination, as represented in Kuwaiti women’s fiction. Drawing on Marxist-feminist literary theory, it closely analyses selected texts (published between 1953 and 2000), which reflect the effects of patriarchal culture and tradition on race, class, and gender relations in Kuwait and the Arabian Gulf region in general. It argues that the selected texts portray the pre-oil generations of Kuwaiti/Arabian Gulf women—born before or in the first half of the twentieth century—as resistant and/or revolutionary figures, contrary to the common notion of their stereotypical passivity and submissiveness. This book demonstrates how Kuwaiti women writers have used literature to work for, and contribute to, social change.
- Modern Arabic fiction in Kuwait : emergence and development
The Kuwaiti female literary tradition : an overview
Male domination, female fury in Kuwaiti women's short stories
Subverting patriarchy : women's defiance and solidarity in Laylā al-'Uthmān's Wasmiyya takhruj min al-bahạr
Race, class, war, and gender in Ṭayyiba al-Ibrāhīm's Mudhakkirāt khādim
Culture and gender : sexuality, femininity, and identity in Fawziyya S. al-Sālim's Muzūn.
- Revision of the author's thesis (doctoral)--University of Edinburgh, 2005.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/ej.9789004167797.i-165 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|