Microalgal Biotechnology: Potential and Production / Clemens Posten, Christian Walter.
- Berlin ; Boston : De Gruyter, 
1 online resource (288 p.)
- Microalgae -- Biotechnology.
- Electronic books.
- With the high interest in renewable resources, the field of algal biotechnology has undergone a huge leap in importance in recent years. The book treats the biological fundamentals of microalgal biotechnology in physiology and molecular biology and provides an overview of applications and products. It furthermore includes a survey of the state-of-the-art in process engineering of algae cultivation starting with mass production in open ponds and leading you to advanced technologies in closed photobioreactors. Thus crucial enabling technologies reaching from genetic manipulation to bioprocess engineering are reviewed. Contributions from academia and industrial case studies make this book a comprehensive survey of current progress in microalgae biotechnology. So this book will be of interest to active people in biology, biotechnology, and engineering in the area of sustainable production of high value products or mass production of food and fuel for the future.
Preface / Kruse, Olaf
1 Introduction - Discovering Microalgae as Source for Sustainable Biomass
The biological potential of microalgae
2 Phylogeny and systematics of microalgae: An overview / Friedl, Thomas / Rybalka, Nataliya / Kryvenda, Anastasiia
3 Balancing the conversion efficiency from photon to biomass / Wilhelm, Christian / Jakob, Torsten
4 Algae symbiosis with eukaryotic partners / Brück, Thomas / Garbe, Daniel
5 Genetic engineering, methods and targets / Kirchmayr, Anna / Griesbeck, Christoph
6 Algenics: Providing microalgal technologies for biological drugs / Cadoret, Jean-Paul / Lejeune, Alexandre / Michel, Rémy / Carlier, Aude
Technical Means for Algae Production
7 Raceways-based production of algal crude oil / Chisti, Yusuf
8 Cellana LLC: Algae-based products for a sustainable future / Obbard, Jeff
9 Principles of photobioreactor design / Acién Fernández, F. G. / Fernández Sevilla, J. M. / Molina Grima, E.
10 Knowledge models for the engineering and optimization of photobioreactors / Pruvost, Jérémy / Cornet, Jean-François
11 Construction and assessment parameters of photobioreactors / Oeschger, Linda / Posten, Clemens
12 Autotrophic, industrial cultivation of photosynthetic microorganisms using flue gas as carbon source and Subitec's flat-panel-airlift (FPA) cultivation system / Bergmann, Peter / Ripplinger, Peter / Beyer, Lars / Trösch, Walter
13 Case study: Microalgae production in the selfsupported ProviAPT vertical flat-panel photobioreactor system / Roef, Luc / Jacqmain, Michel / Michiels, Mark
14 Case study: Biomass from open ponds / Piek, Alexander
15 Case study: Spiral plate technology for totally dewatering algae alive / Brocken, Marco
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Posten, Clemens, editor.
Walter, Christian, editor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9783110225020 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|