Enhancing the rule of law through the International Court of Justice / edited by Giorgio Gaja and Jenny Grote Stoutenburg.
- Leiden, The Netherlands : Koninklijke Brill, 2014.
- Developments in international law ; Volume 68.
Developments in International Law, 0924-5332 ; Volume 68
1 online resource (180 p.)
- International courts -- Congresses.
International Court of Justice -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- What is the current role of the International Court of Justice in contributing to the rule of law in the international community, and which future developments might enable it to have an even greater impact? These questions are explored in Enhancing the Rule of Law through the International Court of Justice , edited by Judge Giorgio Gaja and Jenny Grote Stoutenburg, Associate Legal Officer at the Court. Resulting from a conference celebrating the centenary of the Peace Palace in The Hague, the volume brings together contributions from Judges of the Court, eminent scholars and \'new voices\'. With contributions by: Ronny Abraham, Mohamed Bennouna, Antônio A. Cançado Trindade, Giorgio Gaja, Christopher Greenwood, Mariko Kawano, Marcelo Kohen, Chehrazad Krari-Lahya, Rosa Möhrlein, Hugh Thirlway, and Andreas Zimmermann
- Preliminary Material
1 Reflections on a Century of International Justice and Prospects for the Future / Antônio Augusto Cançado Trindade
2 Between the Quest for Universality and its Limited Jurisdiction: The Role of the International Court of Justice in Enhancing the International Rule of Law / Andreas Zimmermann
3 Cooperation and Competition between the International Court of Justice and the Security Council / Chehrazad Krari-Lahya
4 Judicial Integrity and the Advisory Jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice / Christopher Greenwood
5 Peace, Justice, and Provisional Measures / Hugh Thirlway
6 Preventing Conflicts between the Court’s Orders on Provisional Measures and Security Council Resolutions / Giorgio Gaja
7 Act-dependent Judicial Review of Security Council and General Assembly Resolutions / Rosa Möhrlein
8 The Effects of International Legal Obligations in Domestic Law in Light of the Judgment of the Court in the Medellín Case / Ronny Abraham
9 Decisions of the International Court of Justice on Disputes Concerning Internal Law / Mariko Kawano
10 The Court’s Contribution to Determining the Content of Fundamental Principles of International Law / Marcelo Kohen
11 The International Court of Justice: Bestriding Past and Present / Mohamed Bennouna
Table of Cases
- Includes papers presented at a conference entitled "The International Court of Justice in the Service of Peace and Justice" which took place on 23 September 2013" at the Peace Palace at The Hague. -- Preface.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Gaja, Giorgio, editor.
Grote Stoutenburg, Jenny, editor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/9789004278561 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|