Heidegger and the place of ethics being-with in the crossing of Heidegger's thought Michael Lewis.
- London New York Continuum 2005.
- Continuum studies in Continental philosophy.
Continuum studies in Continental philosophy
1 online resource (227 p.)
- Ethics, Modern -- 20th century.
Heidegger, Martin, 1889-1976 -- Ethics.
- Despite Heidegger's identifying his own thought with 'ethics' in the most original sense, his understanding of ethics has been criticised both for its supposed ignorance of the role of the other human being and for its relation to politics. This book contends that, in fact, it is Heidegger's own notion of 'being-with' -his rethinking of intersubjectivity- which demonstrates precisely what is wrong with his early work and demands that the place of ethics be rethought. Heidegger and the Place of Ethics shows how this rethinking occurs in Heidegger's own laterwork. In particular, the crossing out of the earlier work in the turn to the later allows us to think 'being-with' as essential to a Heideggerian ethics and to rethink the relationship between ethics and politics which previously issued in Heidegger's engagement with Nazism. This rethinking of ethics and politics in light of the originality of 'being-with' brings us before a hitherto unnoticed proximity between Heidegger's later work and the Lacanian political thought of Slavoj Žižek among others; it thereby opens up the possibility of a politically progressive Heideggerianism, and many unexpected encounters with thinkers generally considered to be separated from Heidegger by an abyss
Preface: Heidegger and Capitalism - Translations
Introduction: Being-with and the Place of Ethics
Part I: Being-with
1. Being-with and the Ontological Difference
2. Beyond Authenticity and Inauthenticity
Part II: Crossing
3. Death as the Origin of Ethics
4. Questioning, Void
5. Saying, Thing
Part III: Being-with, Ethics, Politics
6. The Being-with of Mortals Before the Thing
- Description based upon print version of record.
Electronic reproduction. London : Bloomsbury Publishing, 2014. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement
Includes bibliographical references (pages -205) and index
- Publisher Number:
- 10.5040/9781472546692 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|