Connections [electronic resource] : the geometric bridge between art and science / Jay Kappraff.
- 2nd ed.
- Singapore ; River Edge, NJ : World Scientific, c2001.
- K & E series on knots and everything ; v. 25.
K & E series on knots and everything ; v. 25
1 online resource (519 p.)
- Electronic books.
- The first edition of Connections was chosen by the National Association of Publishers (USA) as the best book in "Mathematics, Chemistry, and Astronomy - Professional and Reference" in 1991. It has been a comprehensive reference in design science, bringing together in a single volume material from the areas of proportion in architecture and design, tilings and patterns, polyhedra, and symmetry. The book presents both theory and practice and has more than 750 illustrations. It is suitable for research in a variety of fields and as an aid to teaching a course in the mathematics of design.
- Contents ; Preface ; Acknowledgements ; Credits ; Preface to the Second Edition ; Chapter 1. Proportion in Architecture ; 1.1 Introduction ; 1.2 Myth and Number ; 1.3 Proportion and Number ; 1.4 The Structure of Ancient Musical Scales ; 1.5 The Musical Scale in Architecture
1.6 Systems of Proportion Based on V2 0 and Q 1.7 The Golden Mean and Its Application to the Modulor of Le Corbusier ; 1.8 An Ancient System of Roman Proportion ; Appendix 1.A ; Chapter 2. Similarity ; 2.1 Introduction ; 2.2 Similarity ; 2.3 Families of Similar Figures
2.4 Self-Similarity of the Right Triangle 2.5 Line Choppers ; 2.6 A Circle Chopper ; 2.7 Construction of the Square Root of a Given Length ; 2.8 Archimedes Spiral ; 2.9 Logarithmic Spiral ; 2.10 Growth and Similarity in Nature ; 2.11 Growth and Similarity in Geometry
2.12 Infinite Self-Similar Curves 2.13 On Growth and Form ; Appendix 2.A ; Appendix 2.B ; Chapter 3. The Golden Mean ; 3.1 Introduction ; 3.2 Fibonacci Series ; 3.3 Some Tiling Properties of Q ; 3.4 The Golden Rectangle and the Golden Section ; 3.5 The Golden Mean Triangle
3.6 The Pentagon and Decagon 3.7 The Golden Mean and Patterns of Plant Growth ; 3.8 The Music of Bartok: A System Both Open and Closed ; Chapter 4. Graphs ; 4.1 Introduction ; 4.2 Graphs ; 4.3 Maps ; 4.4 Maps and Graphs on a Sphere ; 4.5 Connectivity of Graphs and Maps
4.6 Combinatorial Properties
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|