Alexander to Constantine : Archaeology of the Land of the Bible, Volume III / Eric M. Meyers, Mark A. Chancey.
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
- The Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library
1 online resource (396 p.)
- Middle East -- History -- To 622.
Middle East -- Antiquities.
Middle East -- Civilization -- To 622.
- Electronic books.
- Drawing on the most recent, groundbreaking archaeological research, Eric M. Meyers and Mark A. Chancey re-narrate the history of ancient Palestine in this richly illustrated and expertly integrated book. Spanning from the conquest of Alexander the Great in the fourth century BCE until the reign of the Roman emperor Constantine in the fourth century CE, they synthesize archaeological evidence with ancient literary sources (including the Bible) to offer a sustained overview of the tumultuous intellectual and religious changes that impacted world history during the Greco-Roman period.The authors demonstrate how the transformation of the ancient Near East under the influence of the Greeks and then the Romans led to foundational changes in both the material and intellectual worlds of the Levant. Palestine's subjection to Hellenistic kingdoms, its rule by the Hasmonean and Herodian dynasties, the two disastrous Jewish revolts against Rome, and its full incorporation into the Roman Empire provide a background for the emergence of Christianity. The authors observe in the archaeological record how Judaism and Christianity were virtually undistinguishable for centuries, until the rise of imperial Christianity with Emperor Constantine.The only book-length overview available that focuses on the archaeology of Palestine in this period, this comprehensive and powerfully illuminating work sheds new light on the lands of the Bible.
Chapter 1. The Persian Period and the Transition to Hellenism
Chapter 2. The Advent of Hellenism Under the Greek Kingdoms and the Hasmoneans (332-37 b.c.e.)
Chapter 3. Herod the Great and the Introduction of Roman Architecture
Chapter 4. Khirbet Qumran and the Dead Sea Scrolls
Chapter 5. From Herod to the Great Revolt
Chapter 6. The Great Revolt and the Bar Kokhba Rebellion
Chapter 7. The Emergence of Christianity
Chapter 8. Early Judaism and the Rise of the Synagogue
Chapter 9. The Archaeology of Paganism
Chapter 10. The Growth of Greco-Roman Culture and the Case of Sepphoris
Chapter 11. After Constantine Beyond the Roman Period
List of Abbreviations
Index of Place Names
Index of Passages Cited
- Description based upon print version of record.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Chancey, Mark A., author., Author,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300174830 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|