Achieving Against The Odds edited by Esther Kingston-Mann and Tim Sieber.
- Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 2001.
- Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2012
- New academy.
The new academy
1 online resource (241 p.)
- Cultural pluralism.
College environment -- Massachusetts -- Boston.
Multicultural education -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- Case studies.
Minority college students -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- Case studies.
University of Massachusetts at Boston.
- Electronic books.
- ""High school was like a penance imposed for some unknown sin. Everything I ever learned that was important was learned outside of school. So I never thought to associate schools with learning."" (Amy, UMass Boston student)Today's diverse and financially burdened students enter higher education eager to succeed at institutions originally designed for culturally homogeneous and predominantly white middle-class populations. They are expected to learn from faculty trained primarily as researchers. Unsurprisingly, student dropout and faculty burnout rates are high, leading some conser
- Contents; 9 Teaching, Learning, and Judging: Some Reflections on the University and Political Legitimacy; Foreword; Acknowledgments; Introduction: Achieving Against the Odds; 1 Coming Out and Leading Out: Pedagogy Beyond the Closet; 2 Three Steps Forward, One Step Back: Dilemmas of Upward Mobility; 3 Learning to Listen to Students and Oneself; 4 Language and Cultural Capital: Reflections of a "Junior" Professor; 5 Racial Problems in Society and in the Classroom; 6 Teaching (as) Composing
7 Teaching, Tenure, and Institutional Transformation: 125 Reflections on Race, Culture, and Resilience at an Urban Public University 8 Teaching American Dreams/American Realities: Students' Lives and Faculty Agendas; 10 Gender Trouble in the Gender Course: Managing and Mismanaging Conflict in the Classroom; 11 Odd Man Out; About the Contributors; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Sieber, R. Timothy.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|