Rome and China [electronic resource] : comparative perspectives on ancient world empires / edited by Walter Scheidel.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Oxford studies in early empires.
Oxford studies in early empires
1 online resource (257 p.)
- History, Ancient -- Historiography.
History -- Methodology.
Imperialism -- History.
Rome -- History -- Republic, 265-30 B.C.
Rome -- History -- Empire, 30 B.C.-284 A.D.
China -- History -- Han dynasty, 202 B.C.-220 A.D.
- Electronic books.
- Acknowledgments. List of maps, figures, and tables. Notes on contributors. Chronology. Maps. Introduction, Walter Scheidel. 1. From the ""Great Convergence"" to the ""First Great Divergence:"" Roman and Qin Han State Formation and its Aftermath, Walter Scheidel. 2. War, State Formation, and the Evolution of Military Institutions in Ancient China and Rome, Nathan Rosenstein. 3. Law and Punishment in the Formation of Empire, Karen Turner. 4. Eunuchs, Women, and Imperial Courts, Maria Dettenhofer. 5. Commanding and Consuming the World: Empire, Tribute, and Trade in Roman and Chinese History, Pete
- Contents; Contributors; Chronology; Introduction; 1 From the "Great Convergence" to the "First Great Divergence": Roman and Qin-Han State Formation and Its Aftermath; 2 War, State Formation, and the Evolution of Military Institutions in Ancient China and Rome; 3 Law and Punishment in the Formation of Empire; 4 Eunuchs, Women, and Imperial Courts; 5 Commanding and Consuming the World: Empire, Tribute, and Trade in Roman and Chinese History; 6 Gift Circulation and Charity in the Han and Roman Empires; 7 The Monetary Systems of the Han and Roman Empires; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 209-227) and index.
- Scheidel, Walter, 1966-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|