Austronesian soundscapes [electronic resource] : performing arts in Oceania and Southeast Asia / edited by Birgit Abels.
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 2011.
- IIAS publications series. Edited volumes ; 4.
IIAS publications series. Edited volumes ; v. 4
1 online resource (340 p.)
- Performing arts -- Oceania.
Performing arts -- Southeast Asia.
- Electronic books.
In Austronesia' the region that stretches from Madagascar in the west to Easter Island in the east-music plays a vital role in both the construction and expression of social and cultural identities. Yet research into the music of Austronesia has hitherto been sparse. Drawing together contemporary cultural studies and musical analysis, Austronesian Soundscapes will fill this research gap, offering a comprehensive analysis of traditional and contemporary Austronesian music and, at the same time, investigating how music reflects the challenges that Austronesian cultures face in this age of globalization.
- Southeast Asia. Creating places through the soundscape : a Kalinga peace pact celebration / Glenn Stallsmith ; Sundanese dance as practice or spectacle : it's all happening at the zoo / Henry Spiller ; Malay-Islamic zapin : dance and soundscapes from the Straits of Malacca / Mohd Anis Md Nor ; The contemporary musical culture of the Chinese in Sabah, Malaysia / David T.W. Wong ; To sing the rice in Tanjung Bunga (eastern Flores), Indonesia / Dana Rappoport
Madagascar. Tromba children, maresaka, and postcolonial malady in Madagascar / Ron Emoff
Oceania. Fractals in Melanesian music / Raymond Ammann ; 'Singing spirits and the dancing dead' : sonic geography, music and ritual performance in a Melanesian community / Paul Wolffram ; Breaking the tikol? : code-switching, cassette culture a Lihirian song form / Kirsty Gillespie ; Fijian sigidrigi and the performance of social hierarchies / Jennifer Cattermole ; Tauʼaʼalo : paddling songs as cultural metaphor / Adrienne L. Kaeppler ; Disconnected connections : Puerto Rican diasporic musical identity in Hawaiʼi / Ted Solís ; Performing Austronesia in the twenty-first century : a Rapa Nui perspective on shared culture and contact / Dan Bendrups ; 'To sing is to be happy' : the dynamics of contemporary Maori musical practices / Toon van Meijl ; Australian indigenous choices of repertoire in community CDs/DVDs : recording and reclaiming Torres Strait Islander sacred and secular music / Karl Neuenfeldt.
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 29 Jan 2021).
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Abels, Birgit.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9789048508112 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|