Regional Nationalism in Spain : Language Use and Ethnic Identity in Galicia / Jaine E. Beswick.
- Blue Ridge Summit, PA : Multilingual Matters, 
- Linguistic Diversity and Language Rights, No. 5
Linguistic Diversity and Language Rights
1 online resource (335 p.)
- Sociolinguistics -- Spain -- Galicia (Region)
Ethnicity -- Spain -- Galicia (Region)
Galician language -- History.
Nationalism -- Spain -- Galicia (Region)
- Electronic books.
- This highly accessible book examines linguistic diversity in Galicia, one of the devolved regions of Spain. Its principal hypotheses are: that the Galician language is an intrinsic characteristic of Galician ethnic identity: that policy and planning impact on the behavioural practices of language users, reflected in loyalty and prestige factors: that whilst a reversal in traditional perceptions and attitudes is resulting in a reaffirmation of Galician as the autochthonous language, its sociolinguistic relationship with Castilian has not been resolved: that Galicians have to negotiate multiple identities, subject to constant change and adjustment. Through its innovative and in-depth analysis of Galician linguistic, sociolinguistic, ethnic and cultural revival and revitalisation processes, it also serves to emphasise the wider relevance of such studies to the case of minoritised languages in general.
Chapter 1. Language, Culture, Identity
Chapter 2. The Origins of Galician
Chapter 3. Contemporary Galicia: The Evolution of a Standard
Chapter 4. Microlinguistic Issues: Theoretical Concepts
Chapter 5. The Linguistic Differentiation of Galician
Chapter 6. The Idiosyncratic Characteristics of Galician
Chapter 7. Language Planning and Language Use in Galicia
Chapter 8. Societal and Individual Roles of Galician
Chapter 9. The Future of Galicia, its People, and its Language
Notes to Chapters
Appendix 1. Major Orthographic Differences between the Galician Standard, Castilian and Portuguese
Appendix 2. Use of the Gheada, Santiago de Compostela, 1995, 1996
Appendix 3. Written and Spoken Tokens, Santiago de Compostela, 1995, 1996
Appendix 4. Petición de axuda (Appeal for Help)
Appendix 5. Sociolinguistic Questionnaire - Santiago de Compostela 1995, 1996, 2001
Appendix 6. Respondent Details
Appendix 7. Language Preference and Language Use, Santiago de Compostela 1995, 1996, 2001
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 294-316) and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 07. Jul 2020)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.21832/9781853599811 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|