The Last Century of Sea Power [electronic resource] : From Washington to Tokyo, 1922-1945
- Bloomington, IN : Indiana University Press, 2009.
1 online resource (705 p.)
- Local subjects:
- Naval history, Modern -- 19th century. (search)
Naval history, Modern -- 20th century. (search)
- Electronic books.
- In this second volume of his history of naval power in the 20th century, H. P. Willmott follows the fortunes of the established seafaring nations of Europe along with two upstarts-the United States and Japan. Emerging from World War I in command of the seas, Great Britain saw its supremacy weakened through neglect and in the face of more committed rivals. Britain's grand Coronation Review of 1937 marked the apotheosis of a sea power slipping into decline. Meanwhile, Britain's rivals and soon-to-be enemies were embarking on significant naval building programs that would soon change the natur
- Contents; List of Chapter Appendixes; List of Maps and a Diagram; List of Tables; Acknowledgements; Part 1. Naval Races and Wars; One Introduction: Washington, London, and Two Very Separate Wars, 1921-1941; Two Washington and London; Three Ethiopia and Spain; Four Japan and Its "Special Undeclared War"; Part 2. Introduction to the Second World War; Five Navies, Sea Power, and Two or More Wars; Part 3. The Second World War:The European Theater; Six Britain and the Defeat of the U-boat Guerre de Course; Seven With Friends like These
Eight Italy and the War in the MediterraneanTheater of OperationsNine The Lesser Allied Navies and Merchant Marinesin the Second World War; Part 4. The Second World War:The Pacific Theater; Ten The War across the Pacific: Introduction and Conclusion; Eleven The Japanese Situation-and a Japanese Dimension; Twelve The Japanese Situation-and an American Dimension; Thirteen The Japanese Situation-and a Second Japanese Dimension; Fourteen The Japanese Situation-and Another, and Final, Dimension; Part 5. Dealing with Real Enemies; Fifteen Finis: The British Home Fleet, 15 August 1945; Notes
Selected BibliographyGeneral Index; Index of Warships, Submarines, Auxiliaries, and Merchantmen; Index of American Warships; Index of U.S. Lend-Lease Production of Escort Carriers,Frigates, and Sloops that Saw Service in the British Navy
- Description based upon print version of record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|