Princes and princely culture, 1450-1650 Vol. two / edited by Martin Gosman, Alasdair MacDonald, Arjo Vanderjagt.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2005.
- Brill's Studies in Intellectual History 118/2.
Brill's studies in intellectual history, 0920-8607 ; v. 118/2
1 online resource (380 p.)
- Princes -- Europe -- History.
Art patronage -- Europe -- History.
Politics and culture -- Europe -- History.
Europe -- History -- 15th century.
Europe -- History -- 1492-1648.
Europe -- Court and courtiers.
Europe -- Kings and rulers.
- Electronic books.
- Many products of medieval and renaissance culture – literature, music, political ideology, social and governmental structures, the fine arts, forms of devotional piety, and also the social, political and literary self-representation of rulers – found their best expression in the context of the courts of greater and lesser princes. This second volume on princes and princely culture between 1450 and 1650 – the first was published in 2003 as volume 118/1 in this series – contains twelve essays. These are focused on England under Edward IV, Henry VII and Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, and under James I and Charles I. The late fifteenth-century imperial court is treated in a piece on Matthias I Corvinus. The courts of Italy are represented by chapters on those of the Po Valley, the Medici of Florence, the Papal courts of Pius II and Julius II, and of Naples. Spanish court culture is discussed in contributions on Charles V, Philip II, and on Philip IV.
- Preliminary Material / Martin Gosman , Alasdair Macdonald and Arjo Vanderjagt
Pope Pius II and the Idea of the Appropriate Thematisation of the Self / Zweder von Martels
Princes and Culture in the Fifteenth-Century Italian Po Valley Courts / Rinaldo Rinaldi
The Motivation for the Patronage of Pope Julius II / Christine Shaw
Princes and Patriotism: The Self-Representation of Florentine Patricians in the Late Renaissance / Henk van Veen
Culture and Power in Naples from 1450 to 1650 / Davide Canfora
Politics and the Occult at the Court of Edward IV / Jonathan Hughes
Henry VII and Henry VIII / D’Arcy Jonathan Dacre Boulton
The Court Culture of England under Elizabeth I / Jane Stevenson
The Marriage of Matthias Corvinus to Beatrice of Aragón (1476) in Urban and Court Historiography / Volker Honemann
Charles V / José Martínez Millán
‘Official History’ at the Court of Philip II of Spain / Richard L. Kagan
The Sun and Aurora: Philip IV of Spain and his Queen-Consort in Royal Festival and Spectacle / Rina Walthaus
Bibliography / Martin Gosman , Alasdair Macdonald and Arjo Vanderjagt
Index / Martin Gosman , Alasdair Macdonald and Arjo Vanderjagt.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Gosman, Martin.
MacDonald, A. A. (Alasdair A.)
Vanderjagt, Arie Johan.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/9789047404859 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|