Soviet Jews in World War II : Fighting, Witnessing, Remembering / Harriet Murav, Gennady Estraikh.
- Boston, MA : Academic Studies Press, 
- Borderlines (Boston, Mass.)
Borderlines: Russian and East European-Jewish Studies
1 online resource (270 p.)
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Jewish resistance.
- Electronic books.
- This volume discusses the participation of Jews as soldiers, journalists, and propagandists in combating the Nazis during the Great Patriotic War, as the period between June 22, 1941, and May 9, 1945 was known in the Soviet Union. The essays included here examine both newly-discovered and previously-neglected oral testimony, poetry, cinema, diaries, memoirs, newspapers, and archives. This is one of the first books to combine the study of Russian and Yiddish materials, reflecting the nature of the Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee, which, for the first time during the Soviet period, included both Yiddish-language and Russian-language writers. This volume will be of use to scholars, teachers, students, and researchers working in Russian and Jewish history.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Histories
Chapter 1. Jewish Combatants of the Red Army Confront the Holocaust / Altshuler, Mordechai
Chapter 2. Ilʹia Ehrenburg and the Holocaust in the Soviet Press / Rubenstein, Joshua
Chapter 3. Jews at War: Diaries from the Front / Budnitskii, Oleg
Chapter 4. Jews as Cossacks: A Symbiosis in Literature and Life / Estraikh, Gennady
Chapter 5. How the Jewish Intelligentsia Created the Jewishness of the Jewish Hero: The Soviet Yiddish Press / Zeltser, Arkadi
Part II: Representation, Documentation, and Interpretation
Chapter 6. Foreshadowing the Holocaust: Boris Slutskii's Jewish Poetic Cycle of 1940/41 / Grinberg, Marat
Chapter 7. Poetry After Kerch': Representing Jewish Mass Death in the Soviet Union / Murav, Harriet
Chapter 8. Between the Permitted and the Forbidden: The Politics of Holocaust Representation in The Unvanquished (1945) / Gershenson, Olga
Chapter 9. From Photojournalist to Memory Maker: Evgenii Khaldei and Soviet Jewish Photographers / Shneer, David
Chapter 10. Memoirs / Slutskii, Boris / Romm, Mikhail / Rybakov, Anatolii
Chapter 11. Afterword Soviet Jews in World War II: Experience, Perception and Interpretation / Gitelman, Zvi
- Includes index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 21. Dez 2019)
- Estraikh, Gennady, author., Author,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9781618116864 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|