Reformist voices of Islam [electronic resource] : mediating Islam and modernity / Shireen T. Hunter, editor.
- Armonk, N.Y. : M.E. Sharpe, c2009 (Boston, Mass. : Credo Reference, 2012.)
1 online resource (344 p.)
- Islam -- 21st century.
Islamic renewal -- Islamic countries.
Globalization -- Religious aspects -- Islam.
Religious awakening -- Islam.
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- This compelling volume introduces the current generation of moderate reformist thinkers and activists within Islam, the intellectual traditions they carry on, and the reasons why reformist movements have been overshadowed by fundamentalist, revolutionary, and jihadist movements in the Islamic world today.
- Reformist Voices of Islam; Contents; Detailed Table of Contents; Foreword; Preface; Introduction; 1 Islamic Reformist Discourse in Iran: Proponents and Prospects; 2 Reformist and Moderate Voices of Islam in the Arab East; 3 Reformist Islamic Thinkers in the Maghreb: Toward an Islamic Age of Enlightenment?; 4 Islamic Modernist and Reformist Discourse in South Asia; 5 Liberal and Progressive Voices in Indonesian Islam; 6 Reformist Muslim Thinkers in Malaysia: Engaging with Power to Uplift the Umma?; 7 Islamic Reformist Discourses and Intellectuals in Turkey: Permanent Religion with Dynamic Law
8 Reformist and Moderate Voices in European Islam9 Voices of Reformist Islam in the United States; Conclusions and Prospects; Selected Bibliography; Index of Names; About the Editor and Contributors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 299-311) and index.
Description based on title page of print version.
- Hunter, Shireen.
Credo Reference (Firm)
- Access Restriction:
- Access restricted to authorized users and institutions.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|