Dynamics of Power in Dutch Integration Politics : From Accommodation to Confrontation / Justus Uitermark.
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 
- Solidarity and Identity
Solidarity and Identity
1 online resource (307 p.)
- Public administration -- Netherlands.
Netherlands -- Politics and government.
- Electronic books.
- Integration politics in the Netherlands has changed dramatically between 1990 and 2005. Whereas ethnic and religious differences were hitherto pacified through accommodation, a new and increasingly powerful current in Dutch politicsproblematizes the presence of minorities.This development represents a challenge to sociologists and political scientists: how to map and explain drastic changes?Arguing that extant approaches are better at explaining continuity than change, this book develops a distinct approach to the study of dynamic power relations to understand drastic transformations in the national debate as well as urban governance.
Table of contents
Tables and figures
1. Introduction: Integration politics and the enigma of power
2. The struggle for civil power
3. Introduction to Part II: Civil power and the integration debate
4. The evolution of the Dutch civil sphere
5. The ascendancy of Culturalism
6. Contesting Culturalism: Antiracism, Pragmatism and Civil Islam
7. Introduction to Part III: Civil power and governance figurations
8. The minorities policy and the dominance of the radical left: Ethnic corporatism in Amsterdam in the 1980s
9. Diversity management and the gentrification of civil society: Civil liberalism in Amsterdam in the 1990s
10. Governing through Islam: Civil differentialism in Amsterdam after 9/11 and the assassination of Theo van Gogh
11. The rise of Culturalism and the resilience of minority associations: Civil corporatism in Rotterdam
12. Comparing the power of minority associations in Amsterdam and Rotterdam
13. Conclusion: The dynamics of power
Appendix 1: Assigning codes to articles
Appendix 2: Assigning codes to relations between actors
SOLIDARITY AND IDENTITY
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9789048515837 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|