Readings on Maramarosh / Elieser Slomovic ; edited by Caryn Landy, Aryeh Cohen, and Steven M. Lowenstein.
- Boston : Academic Studies Press, 2013.
- Holocaust (Boston, Mass.)
Holocaust: History and Literature, Ethics and Philosophy
1 online resource (250 p.)
- Hasidism -- Romania -- Maramures -- History.
Responsa -- History and criticism.
MaramuresÌ (Romania) -- Religious life and customs.
- Electronic books.
- Since World War II, the sub-Carpathian Mountain region once known as Maramarosh has remained "Judenrein" (free of Jews). Jewish Maramarosh lives on, however, through the contributions to scholarship and humanity of Maramarosh Holocaust survivors and their progeny, including Nobel laureate Elie Weisel and the Talmud scholar Professor David Halivni-Weiss. Maramarosh Shoah survivor and Talmud scholar Professor Elieser Slomovic here provides access to a collection of responsa literature, most of it out of print and previously available only or primarily in Yiddish. Through personal queries about how to live Torah-instructed lives and rabbinic responses, the reader is invited to enter the world of Jewish Maramarosh, where Hasidism flourished and rabbinic scholarship reflected human nobility manifested through the pragmatics of poverty and the dynamics of living closely with nature. Professor Slomovic, recognizing the fluidity and balance over time provided by Talmudic thought as exemplified through rabbinic teaching, invites the reader to join the discourse on the everyday life of everyday people.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
FOREWORD / Lieber, David
PREFACE / Halivni, David
A PERSONAL NOTE / Wiesel, Elie
A NOTE OF INTRODUCTION
READINGS ON MARAMAROSH
1. THE RESPONSA
2. EDUCATION IN MARAMAROSH
3. MARAMAROSH: A HISTORY
4. IN OTHERS' WORDS
REMEMBERING OUR FATHER / Welts, Sara Slomovic / Slomovic, Ephraim
BIBLIOGRAPHY AND BIOGRAPHIES OF RESPONSA AUTHORS IN THIS VOLUME
GEOGRAPHIC TERMS. Official and unofficial names of regions and districts
Language Variants of Place Names
- Includes index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed January 9, 2014).
- Landy, Caryn.
Lowenstein, Steven M.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9781618112439 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|