Perspectives on Arabic linguistics [electronic resource]. VII : papers from the seventh Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics / edited by Mushira Eid.
- Amsterdam : J. Benjamins Pub. Co., 1995.
- Conference Name:
- Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics (7th)
- Amsterdam studies in the theory and history of linguistic science. Current issues in linguistic theory ; Series IV, v. 130.
Amsterdam studies in the theory and history of linguistic science. Series IV, Current issues in linguistic theory, 0304-0763 ; v. 130
1 online resource (200 p.)
- Arabic language -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- This volume includes ten papers selected from the Seventh Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics. For the first time in this series, three of the papers represent experimental studies dealing with Arabic syllable and morphological structure. Four are focused on aspects of agreement in Arabic. The remaining three deal with certain problems in Arabic phonology and discourse.
- PERSPECTIVES ON ARABIC LINGUISTICS VII; Editorial page; Title page; Copyright page; Table of contents; FOREWORD; INTRODUCTION; I. AGREEMENT IN ARABIC; ARABIC AND PARAMETRIC VSO AGREEMENT; 0. Introduction; 1. Agreement Asymmetries; 1.1 Verbal agreement; 1.1.1 Arabic; 1.1.2 Other languages; 1.2 Adjectival agreement; 1.3 Generalizations; 2. Previous Solutions; 2.1 Incorporation; 2.2 Different verb movements for each word order; 2.3 A parametric solution; 2.4 Summary; 3. A Parametric Agreement System of Inflectional Features; 3.1 The minimalist program; 3.2 Parametric VSO agreement
3.2.1 The Arabic SVO/VSO alternation 3.2.2 Rich VSO vs. poor VSO agreement; 3.2.3 Generalizations; 3.3 Adjectival agreement; 3.4 Agreement asymmetries in other languages; 4. Conclusion; REFERENCES; INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL AGREEMENT IN QUANTIFIED CONSTRUCT STATES; 1. Introduction to the Problem; 2. Internal Agreement in Quantified Construct States; 2.1 Quantifiers as X0 Lexical Heads; 2.2 Quantifiers as X0 Functional Heads; 2.3 Problems with Alternative Analyses; 2.4 Quantifiers as NumP Heads; 3. External Agreement between DP and Inflection; 3.1 Nominative Case Assignment by Inflection
3.2 Number Agreement between Subject and Verb 4. Implications of the Analysis; 5. Conclusion; REFERENCES; PARASITIC GAPS IN ARABIC; 0. Introduction; 1. Resumptive Pronouns as Parasitic Gap Licensers; 1.1 Resumptive pronouns in wh-questions; 1.2 Resumptive pronouns in wh-relatives; 2. A Wh-in-situ as a Parasitic gap Licenser; 3. Conclusion; REFERENCES; NEGATION AND MODALITY IN EARLY CHILD ARABIC; 1. Introduction; 2. Negation in Palestinian Arabic; 3. The Negation Paradigm in Early Child Palestinian; 4. The Structure and Derivation of Negative Sentences in Early Child Palestinian; 5. Conclusions
REFERENCES II. PERSPECTIVES FROM EXPERIMENT-BASED STUDIES; MORPHOLOGICAL STRUCTURE AND LEXICAL PROCESSING: EVIDENCE FROM ARABIC; 1. Introduction; 2. Case History; 3. The Experiment; 4. The Results and Discussion; 5. Conclusion; REFERENCES; EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATIONS OF ARABIC SYLLABLE STRUCTURE; 1. Overview; 2. Syllable Boundaries in Arabic; 2.1 Background on the pause-break task; 2.2 The Arabic pause-break study; 3. Intrasyllabic Units in Arabic: Evidence from Global Sound Similarity Judgments (SSJs); 3.1 Background on the SSJ task; 3.2 The Arabic SSJ study; 3.2.1 Procedure
3.2.2 Analysis and results 4. Summary and Conclusions; REFERENCES; THE TIMING STRUCTURE OF CVVC SYLLABLES; 1.0 Introduction; 1.1 Syllable Weight and Syllable Structures; 2. The Phonology of CVVC Syllables; 2.1 CVVC/CVCC Asymmetry; 2.2 A constraint-based analysis; 3. The Phonetics of CVVC Syllables: Duration data; 3.1 Methods; 3.2 Analysis; 4. Hindi; 5. Conclusion; Appendix I; Appendix II; REFERENCES; III. OTHER PERSPECTIVES; TOPIC CONTINUITY IN ARABIC NARRATIVE DISCOURSE; 1. Background and Purpose; 2. Data and Measurements; 3. Results; 3.1 Referential distance; 3.2 Persistence
4. Morphosyntactic Correlates of Topic Continuity
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Eid, Mushira.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|