Causality and connectives [electronic resource] : from Grice to relevance / Valandis Bardzokas.
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : John Benjamins Pub. Co., 2012.
- Pragmatics & beyond ; v. 216.
Pragmatics & beyond new series (P&BNS) ; v. 216
1 online resource (218 p.)
- Greek language, Modern -- Grammar, Generative.
Greek language, Modern -- Causative.
Greek language, Modern -- Connectives.
Greek language, Modern -- Grammar, Comparative -- English.
English language -- Grammar, Comparative -- Greek (Modern Greek).
- Electronic books.
- The book explores finely-grained distinctions in causal meaning, mostly from a relevance-theoretic perspective. To increase the challenge of this double task, i.e. a thorough as well as satisfactory account of cause and a detailed assessment of the theoretical model employed to this end, the current study involves an investigation carried out by way of contrasting the prototypical causal exponents of Modern Greek subordination, i.e. epeidi and ?iati. In addition, this objective is achieved in the methodological framework of contrasting a range of contextual applications of the tw
- Causality and Connectives; Editorial page; Title page; LCC data; Table of contents; Acknowledgements; Causal expression; 1.1. Introduction; 1.2. Cohesion, coherence and relevance; 1.2.1 The functional approach; 1.2.2 Ethnography of communication; 1.2.3 The domain-oriented approach; 1.2.4 The psycholinguistic approach; 1.2.5 From the pragmatic to the cognitive pragmatic approach; 1.3. Causality and connectives; Causality and implicature; 2.1. Introduction; 2.2. Notion of implicature vs. notion of 'what is said'; 2.3 Conversational implicature and the tests of detachability/cancellability
2.4. Grice and causal connectives2.5. Particularized implicature and causal meaning; 2.6. Generalized implicature and causal meaning; 2.7. Conventional implicature and causal meaning; 2.8. Explanatory interpretation of because as a conventional implicature; 2.9. Inferential interpretation of because as a conventional implicature; 2.10. Cancelling causal meaning; 2.11. Detaching causal meaning; 2.12. A truth-conditional approach to causal conjunctions; 2.13. More problems with the Gricean framework: The notion of 'saying'; 2.13.1 Kent Bach's account; 2.13.2 Shortcomings of Bach's account
2.14. More problems with the Gricean framework: The case of epeidi and ?iatiIntroduction to Modern Greek causal connectives; 3.1. Introduction; 3.2. Tracing the history of the connectives; 3.3. A brief descriptive account; 3.4. Background building; 3.5. Corpus analysis; The Sweetserean approach; 4.1. The domain-oriented approach to causality; 4.2. The framework; 4.3. Causality; 4.4. The case of epeidi and ?iati; 4.4.1 Problems with the case of ?iati; 4.5. Conclusion; Relevance theory; 5.1. Introduction to relevance; 5.1.1 Utterance interpretation; 5.2. Conceptual and procedural meaning
5.3. Saying and implicating distinctionCausality and relevance; 6.1. Introduction to causality and relevance; 6.2. Towards a characterization of conceptual and procedural encoding; 6.3. Procedural meaning and discourse connectives; 6.4. A procedural view of causal markers; 6.4.1 Enriching the definition of procedural meaning; 6.4.2 Causal markers and base-order explicatures; 6.4.3 Causal markers and higher-order explicatures; 6.5 A conceptual view of causal markers; 6.5.1 Meaning relations?; 6.5.2 More on the conceptual view of causal markers
6.5.3 Truth conditional meaning and discourse markers18.104.22.168 A truth-conditional view of conceptual causal markers; 6.6. Basic findings; 6.7. Lexical pragmatics; 6.8. Further remarks on the conceptual or procedural view of epeidi and ?iati; 6.9. Other uses of epeidi; 6.9.1 Pre-posed epeidi; 22.214.171.124 Pre-posed epeidi: The data; 126.96.36.199 Epeidi: Further considerations; 6.10. Discourse markers and (non-)propositional meaning; 6.11. Metacommunicative causality; Conclusions; References; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Thesis (Ph.D.)-University of Thessaloniki, 2010.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|