Genealogies of identity [electronic resource] : interdisciplinary readings on sex and sexuality / edited by Margaret Sönser Breen and Fiona Peters.
- Amsterdam ; New York : Rodopi, 2005.
- Conference Name:
- Global Conference on Critical Issues in Sexuality (1st : 2004 : Salzburg, Austria)
- At the interface/probing the boundaries ; v. 26.
At the interface/probing the boundaries ; v. 26
1 online resource (283 p.)
- Sex role -- Congresses.
Gender identity -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- Genealogies of Identity examines issues of sex and sexuality across a range of critical and cultural perspectives. The volume considers historically specific discourses of sex and sexuality, their effect within public contexts such as the church and the workplace, and the link of those discourses to understandings of individual identity, citizenship, nation, and human rights. As well, the volume analyses representations of sexuality and desire in art, literature, theatre, and theory - representations that serve both to codify and to subvert social norms and aesthetic and theoretical traditions
- Contents; List of Figures; Preface; PART I: History, Sex, and Nation; Kertbeny's ""Homosexuality"" and the Language of Nationalism; Prostitution, Sexuality, and Gender Roles in Imperial Germany: Hamburg, A Case Study; Cultural Clash on Prostitution: Debates on Prostitution in Germany and Sweden in the 1990s; ""Staying Bush"" - The Influence of Place and Isolation in the Decision by Gay Men to Live in Rural Areas in Australia; PART II: Literature: Re-writing Desire; Whoring, Incest, Duplicity, or the ""Self-Polluting"" Erotics of Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders
Catastrophic Sexualities in Howard Barker's Theatre of Transgression Un-sacred Cows and Protean Beings: Suniti Namjoshi's Re-writing of Postcolonial Lesbian Bodies; Desire-less-ness; PART III: Bodies: Representations of Gender Identities; Underneath the Clothes - Transvestites without Vests: A Consideration in Art; Of Swords and Rings: Genital Representation as Defining Sexual Identity and Sexual Liberation in Some Old French Fabliaux and Lais; Only with You - Maybe - If You Make Me Happy: A Genealogy of Serial Monogamy as Governance Self-Governance
PART IV: Legality, Bureaucracy, Religion, and Sexuality A Project for Sexual Rights: Sexuality, Power, and Human Rights; International Law, Children's Rights, and Queer Youth; Acting Like a Professional: Identity Dilemmas for Gay Men; How Big is Your God? Queer Christian Social Movements; Notes on Contributors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Breen, Margaret Sönser.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|