The book of Job : aesthetics, ethics, hermeneutics / edited by Leora Batnitzky and Ilana Pardes ; contributors, Robert Alter [and nine others].
- Berlin, [Germany] : De Gruyter, 2015.
- Perspectives on Jewish Texts and Contexts
Perspectives on Jewish Texts and Contexts, 2199-6962 ; Volume 1
1 online resource (234 p.)
- Bible. Job. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Electronic books.
- The Book of Job has held a central role in defining the project of modernity from the age of Enlightenment until today. The Book of Job: Aesthetics, Ethics and Hermeneutics offers new perspectives on the ways in which Job's response to disaster has become an aesthetic and ethical touchstone for modern reflections on catastrophic events. This volume begins with an exploration of questions such as the tragic and ironic bent of the Book of Job, Job as mourner, and the Joban body in pain, and ends with a consideration of Joban works by notable writers - from Melville and Kafka, through Joseph Roth, Zach, Levin, and Philip Roth.
The Book of Job: Aesthetics, Ethics, and Hermeneutics / Batnitzky, Leora / Pardes, Ilana
Is the Book of Job a Tragedy? / Hirschfeld, Ariel
Job, the Mourner / Halbertal, Moshe
Whose Job Is This? Dramatic Irony and double entendre in the Book of Job / Meshel, Naphtali
Reading Pain in the Book of Job / Raz, Yosefa
Melville's Wall Street Job: The Missing Cry / Pardes, Ilana
Kafka's Other Job / Liska, Vivian
Joban Transformations of the Wandering Jew in Joseph Roth's Hiob and Der Leviathan / Hasan-Rokem, Galit
Hebrew Poems Rewriting Job / Alter, Robert
The Bible on the Hebrew/Israeli Stage: Hanoch Levin's The Torments of Job as a Modern Tragedy / Rokem, Freddie
Beyond Theodicy? Joban Themes in Philip Roth's Nemesis / Batnitzky, Leora
Notes on Contributors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references at the end of each chapters.
Description based on print version record.
- Batnitzky, Leora, 1956- editor.
Pardes, Ilana, 1966- editor.
Alter, Robert, contributor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9783110338799 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|