How India clothed the world : the world of South Asian textiles, 1500-1850 / edited by Giorgio Riello, Tirthankar Roy, with the collaboration of Om Prakash and Kaoru Sugihara.
- Boston : Brill, 2009.
- Global Economic History Series 4.
Brill eBook titles 2009
1 online resource (524 p.)
- Textile fabrics -- India -- History.
Textile industry -- India.
- Electronic books.
- Cloth has always been the most global of all traded commodities. It is an illuminating example of the circulation of goods, skills, knowledge and capital across wide geographic spaces. South Asia has been central to the making of these global exchanges over time. This volume presents innovative research that explores the dynamic ways in which diverse textile production and trade regions generated the ’first globalization’. A series of experts connect this global commodity with the dramatic political and economic transformations that characterised the Indian Ocean in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Collectively, the essays transform our understanding of the contribution of South Asian cloth to the making of the modern world economy.
- Preliminary Material / Giorgio Riello and Tirthankar Roy
Introduction: The World of South Asian Textiles, 1500–1850 / Giorgio Riello and Tirthankar Roy
Southeast Asian Consumption of Indian and British Cotton Cloth, 1600–1850 / Anthony Reid
Cloths of a New Fashion: Indian Ocean Networks of Exchange and Cloth Zones of Contact in Africa and India in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries / Pedro Machado
English versus Indian Cotton Textiles: The Impact of Imports on Cotton Textile Production in West Africa / Joseph E. Inikori
British Exports of Raw Cotton from India to China during the Late Eighteenth and Early Nineteenth Centuries / H. V. Bowen
The Resurgence of Intra-Asian Trade, 1800–1850 / Kaoru Sugihara
The Textile Industry and the Economy of South India, 1500–1800 / David Washbrook
Four Centuries of Decline? Understanding the Changing Structure of the South Indian Textile Industry / Ian C. Wendt
From Market-Determined to Coercion-Based: Textile Manufacturing in Eighteenth-Century Bengal / Om Prakash
The Political Economy of Textiles in Western India: Weavers, Merchants and the Transition to a Colonial Economy / Lakshmi Subramanian
Competition and Control in the Market for Textiles: Indian Weavers and the English East India Company in the Eighteenth Century / Bishnupriya Gupta
The Indian Apprenticeship: The Trade of Indian Textiles and the Making of European Cottons / Giorgio Riello
The French Connection: Indian Cottons and Their Early Modern Technology / George Bryan Souza
Fashioning Global Trade: Indian Textiles, Gender Meanings and European Consumers, 1500–1800 / Beverly Lemire
Quality, Cotton and the Global Luxury Trade / Maxine Berg
Historical Issues of Deindustrialization in Nineteenth-Century South India / Prasannan Parthasarathi
Glossary / Giorgio Riello and Tirthankar Roy
Bibliography / Giorgio Riello and Tirthankar Roy
Notes on Contributors / Giorgio Riello and Tirthankar Roy
Index / Giorgio Riello and Tirthankar Roy.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Riello, Giorgio.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/ej.9789004176539.i-490 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|