Criticism of heaven : on Marxism and theology / by Roland Boer.
- Boston : Brill, 2007.
- Historical Materialism Book Series 18.
Brill eBook titles 2007
1 online resource (496 p.)
- Communism and Christianity -- Europe, Western.
Communism and religion -- Europe, Western.
Philosophy, Marxist -- Europe, Western.
- Electronic books.
- This volume consists of a critical commentary on the interactions between Marxism and theology in the work of the major figures of Western Marxism. It deals with the theological writings of Ernst Bloch, Walter Benjamin, Louis Althusser, Henri Lefebvre, Antonio Gramsci, Terry Eagleton, Slavoj Žižek and Theodor Adorno. In many cases their theological writings are dealt with for the first time in this book. It is surprising how much theological material there is and how little commentators have dealt with it. Apart from the critical engagement with the way they use theology, the book also explores how their theological writings infiltrate and enrich their Marxist work. The book has three parts: Biblical Marxists (Bloch and Benjamin), Catholic Marxists (Althusser, Lefebvre, Gramsci and Eagleton), and the Protestant Turn (Žižek and Adorno).
- Preliminary Materials / R. Boer
Chapter One. Bloch’s Detective Work / R. Boer
Chapter Two. Benjamin’s Perpetuation Of Biblical Myth / R. Boer
Chapter Three. The Ecclesiastical Eloquence Of Louis Althusser / R. Boer
Chapter Four. The Heresies Of Henri Lefebvre / R. Boer
Chapter Five. The Ecumenism Of Antonio Gramsci / R. Boer
Chapter Six. The Apostasy Of Terry Eagleton / R. Boer
Chapter Seven. The Conversion Of Slavoj Žižek / R. Boer
Chapter Eight. Adorno’s Vacillation / R. Boer
Conclusion / R. Boer
References / R. Boer
Index Of Biblical References / R. Boer
General Index / R. Boer.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -461) and indexes.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/ej.9789004161115.i-472 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|