Technology in transition [electronic resource] : A.D. 300-650 / edited by Luke Lavan, Enrico Zanini and Alexander Sarantis ; with the assistance of Ine Jacobs, Dirk Booms, Bart de Graeve.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2007.
- Late antique archaeology ; v. 4.
Late antique archaeology, 1570-6893 ; v. 4
1 online resource (633 p.)
- Technology -- Mediterranean Region -- History.
Mediterranean Region -- Antiquities.
Mediterranean Region -- History.
- Electronic books.
- This book is the first general work to be published on technology in Late Antiquity. It seeks to survey aspects of the technology of the period and to respond to questions about technological continuity, stagnation and decline. The book opens with a comprehensive bibliographic essay that provides an overview of relevant literature. The main section then explores technologies in agriculture, production (metal, ceramics and glass), engineering and building. Papers draw on both archaeological and textual sources, and on analogies with medieval and early modern technologies. Reference is made not only to the periods which preceded it, but to the transition to the Early Middle Ages and to the technological heritage of Late Antiquity to the Islamic world. Several papers focus on Italy, whilst others consider North Africa, Asia Minor, and the Near-East.
- Preliminary Materials / L. Lavan , E. Zanini and A. Sarantis
Technology In Late Antiquity: A Bibliographic Essay / Philip Bes
Metal Technology In Late Antiquity: A Bibliographic Note / Nathalie Kellens
Glass Technology In Late Antiquity: A Bibliographic Note / Veerle Lauwers
Water Into Wine: Trade And Technology In Late Antiquity / Michael Decker
Wine-Making After Pliny: Viticulture And Farming Technology In Late Antique Italy / Jeremy Rossiter
Absent-Minded Landlords And Innovating Peasants? The Press In Africa And The Eastern Mediterranean / Tamara Lewit
Ceramic Production In Africa During Late Antiquity: Continuity And Change / Michel Bonifay
Form, Function And Technology In Pottery Production From Late Antiquity To The Early Middle Ages / Paul Arthur
Metal Production In Late Antiquity: From Continuity Of Knowledge To Changes In Consumption / Enrico Giannichedda
Glass In Late Antiquity: The Continuity Of Technology And Sources Of Supply / Lucia Saguí
Glass In Late Antiquity In The Near East / Margaret O’Hea
The Infrastructure Of A Great City: Earth, Walls And Water In Late Antique Constantinople / James Crow
Water Technology At Gortyn In The 4th–7th C. A.D.: Transport, Storage And Distribution / Elisabetta Giorgi
Late Antique Urban Streets At Sagalassos / Femke Martens
Antique Engineering In The Byzantine World / Michael J. T. Lewis
Technology And Ideas: Architects And Master-Builders In The Early Byzantine World / Enrico Zanini
The Art Of Building In Milan During Late Antiquity:San Lorenzo Maggiore / Laura Fieni
Public And Private Building Activity In Late Antique Rome / Riccardo Santangeli Valenzani
Architecture And Infrastructure In The Early Medieval Village: The Case Of Tuscany / Marco Valenti
Umayyad Building Techniques And The Merging Of Roman-Byzantine And Partho-Sassanian Traditions: Continuity And Change / Ignacio Arce
Index / L. Lavan , E. Zanini and A. Sarantis.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Lavan, Luke.
Sarantis, Alexander Constantine, 1978-
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/ej.9789004165496.i-573 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|