Regional variations in matrimonial law and custom in Europe, 1150-1600 [electronic resource] / edited by Mia Korpiola.
- Boston : Brill, 2011.
- Medieval law and its practice ; v. 12.
Medieval law and its practice, 1873-8176 ; v. 12
1 online resource (334 p.)
- Marriage law -- Europe -- History -- To 1500.
Marriage law -- Europe -- History -- 16th century.
Customary law -- Europe -- History -- To 1500.
Customary law -- Europe -- History -- 16th century.
- Electronic books.
- Much research has been done on medieval marriage in the last decades. However, few books have a pronouncedly comparative approach. This book discusses how much was regional and universal in medieval marriage law and practices in Europe. The sources used range from secular and canon law to court practice and from images to private correspondence. Articles discuss medieval and Reformation Belgium, England, France, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, and Sweden. Both marriage formation and marital property, two intertwined aspects, are considered in the articles. The book offers fresh evidence on the scope of regional variation tolerated by the Church, regional practices, and European trends. Contributors are James A. Brundage, Cecilia Cristellon, Trevor Dean, Charles Donahue, Jr., Caroline Dunn, Mia Korpiola, Jurgita Kunsmanaitė, Anu Lahtinen, Anthony Musson, Philip L. Reynolds, Kirsi Salonen, Silvana Seidel Menchi, and Monique Vleeschouwers-Van Melkebeek.
- Introduction : regional variations and harmonization in medieval matrimonial law / Mia Korpiola
E pluribus unum : custom, the professionalization of medieval law and regional variations in marriage formation / James A. Brundage
The regional origins of theories about marital consent and consummation during the twelfth century / Philip L. Reynolds
Separation and marital property in late medieval England and the Franco-Belgian region / Monique Vleeschouwers-Van Melkebeek
Widows, property, and law in Lithuania and some other countries / Jurgita Kunsmanaite
Images of marriage : a comparison of law, custom and practice in medieval Europe / Anthony Musson
A regional cluster : Italian secular laws on abduction, forced and clandestine marriage (fourteenth and fifteenth centuries) / Trevor Dean
Forfeiting the marriage portion : punishing female adultery in the secular courts of England and Italy / Caroline Dunn
Marriage disputes in the consistorial court of freising in the
Late Middle Ages / Kirsi Salonen
Marriage causes in late medieval Sweden : the evidence of Bishop Hans Brask's register (1522-27) / Mia Korpiola
The marriage process in the light of family correspondence : a comparative perspective on the Swedish evidence / Anu Lahtinen
Rituals before tribunals in renaissance Italy : continuity and change, 1400-1600 / Cecilia Cristellon and Silvana Seidel Menchi
Conclusion : comparative approaches to marriage in the later Middle Ages / Charles Donahue, Jr.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Korpiola, Mia.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1163/9789004211438 DOI
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|